Q. Do I need to worry about panic attacks and irregular heartbeats?

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha
Published on Aug 26, 2016

I feel as if I am getting irregular heartbeats. I had suffered from panic attacks quite a few times in the last six months. Since then, I have been having these irregular heartbeats. Although, I have not had a panic attack now, the heart still beats irregularly and it occurs throughout the day. Do I need to worry?

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

#

• If you have not got any tests done so far for this, then you should seriously take a step forward in that direction.
  • You will need an ECG, a 2D echocardiogram and a blood pressure check.
  • Another thing is, if it is a panic attack, then you will know when you are getting it. So, try to avoid such situations. Rest and relaxation are the only help during this.
  • I suggest visiting a cardiologist to rule out any cardiac issues before we treat for anxiety. There are pills you can take for these attacks. Take care and get well soon.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I had gone to a psychologist who did say that these were panic attacks. Also, my mother has been getting palpitations almost all her life. She had it checked, but nothing came out abnormal. Do you think this can be hereditary? I do not have any other symptoms. It usually starts in the morning when I go to work and gradually subsides by evening. I get proper sleep and I am eating fine. Can this be something serious? Also, this has started before a few months and I never had experienced it before.

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

#

• My answer still remains the same. You will need a cardiologist and not a psychologist to evaluate this.
  • Unless a cardiac cause is ruled out we cannot say if this is a panic attack or anxiety. Also, taking this lightly will endanger your health seriously.
  • This can be hereditary, but still requires treatment.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What can cause panic attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having panic attacks for the past 13 years. I have been to the hospital on multiple occasions and have been diagnosed with anxiety attacks every time. I have had EKGs and blood work done. All the reports are fine. Sometimes, I am having multiple panic attacks in a day and also...  Read Full »

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Suffering from anxiety, and panic attacks for the last 3 years. Need second opinion on the prescription.

Query: Dear Doctor, I am suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for the last 3 years. I went to a neurologist 2 years back and he advised me to take REXIPRA 10 for 3 months, SOLTUS 50 for 6 months, HEMIDAP PLUS for 9 months & ZEPAM .5 for 12 months. Upon following these medications, I was improvin...  Read Full »