Q. I am getting panic attacks and anxiety about being home alone. Please help.

Dr. Mustafa Ibrahim Abdelaziz Emara
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I recent times, I am getting a panic attack and anxiety suddenly. I fear being alone in the home, and my mind always thinks something bad will happen to me. I am trying to concentrate on other activities, but I am not able to concentrate. Suddenly I feel a rise in my heartbeat, difficulty in breathing, decreased energy level, body pain mainly on hands and back below the neck, chest pain, feeling dizzy, vomiting, and not able to sleep and eat. It all started happening from before one month. Due to this, I am not able to sleep and eat correctly. Please let me know the solution.

#

The first scenario is you could have faced a stressful situation, and this situation has triggered the panic attack. The situation may have appeared trivial, but it could be pointed to important events in your childhood. The second scenario is you could drink a lot of tea or coffee, or you could have a systemic illness. The high consumption of saturated fat and salt can cause hypertension and heart problems. Too much amount of tea and coffee can affect your heart and decrease the level of vitamin B complex in your blood, resulting in increased heart rate. Moreover, oral contraceptive pills, hormonal replacement therapy, and irregular menses may cause similar symptoms.

ECG (electrocardiogram) and Echocardiogram.

Exclude the systemic illnesses, use tablet Buspirone 10 mg half a tablet before meals once per day for three days, then half a tablet twice per day before meals followed by half a tablet three times per day before meals. So the dose should be increased by half a tablet every three days to one tablet three times before meals for 90 days. You should withdraw the drug by decreasing the dose by half a tablet every week until you take half a tablet once every other day for two weeks, then you should stop the drug.

|