iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPsychiatrypanic attackI suffer from severe anxiety and depression after my husband's death. Please help.

How to manage anxiety, depression, and panic attacks?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At December 17, 2016
Reviewed AtMay 16, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My current issues are depression and anxiety. Honestly, it all started when my husband passed on our son's 1st birthday. I have just let it build up, and now I cannot control how I feel. I cry over crazy things, and I get mad over little things. I cannot sleep at night because I have nightmares and panic attacks. I do not feel like doing anything, and I have very low self-esteem. I am happy for some time, and then I feel angry without any reason. I am currently on Prozac, but it does not help me. Kindly suggest some treatment for this issue.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I am sorry for your loss. It is common to develop severe anxiety and depression after any significant loss in life. Prolonged grief results in the development of depression. Please try to keep yourself busy. Spend time outdoors with your son, which will help reduce the trauma. For persistent depression and anxiety, medicines like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) can be used. Sertraline, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, etc., can be used in your case and help reduce the trauma. These drugs are safe to use and will improve depression.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnui


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy