Q. Kindly clarify the statement regarding HPV in my Pap smear report.

Dr. Sweta Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2020

About three months ago, I got a Pap smear for the first time and it came back with abnormal HPV positive. My doctor did not really go in depth. So, I proceeded to get another Pap smear with another doctor about a week and it came back normal. I asked the doctor about my HPV and he said everything is normal. I went home happily by thinking that my body got rid of the virus pretty fast. I thought in case of young women it will clear on their own. But, I recently looked at my results online and it says the following. The HPV DNA criteria was not met with this specimen result, therefore no HPV test was done. I am unclear whether no HPV test was done or no need to get a further HPV test as my pap smear came back normal. I would like to get some clarification. Please help.

Dr. Sweta Singh

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• No need to get any further HPV (human papilloma virus) test as the repeated Pap smear was normal.
  • Besides that, the more important thing in a Pap smear report is the histopathology. From what you say, it sounds as of the type of cells in the smear was normal.
  • There is nothing to worry about and you should just repeat the Pap smear as and when suggested by your gynecologist.
  • Please do not worry. Just be sure to use a condom whenever you have intercourse, if you are not monogamous at present. If you are married, then it is fine.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|