Q. Is this brown spot I developed, a wart or a symptom of HPV?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
Published on Feb 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

A few months ago, a doctor told me that I had a genital wart. It looked like a flat mole to me. Eventually, it was removed. I want to know if this brown spot I developed recently is also a wart or a symptom of HPV.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Genital wart is caused by a virus, human papillomavirus (HPV). It is contagious, can spread from one person to another and can also spread to surrounding areas of the skin. I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a flat brown macule.

The wart will have a rough surface with finger-like projections or cauliflower-like. During the initial stage, when it starts to appear, it will be flat. Later, it becomes elevated and rough. I am afraid I am not able to say if it is a wart or not because the picture is becoming blurred when I try to zoom in to appreciate the finer details. Thedermoscope examination will reveal the features. A mole will have pigmentation in a pattern, where dotted vessels are seen if it is a wart.

For more information consult a venereologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/venereologist

| 

I have attached clearer pictures. Please let me know if this helps. I first saw the brown spot around few days back.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Thanks for adding more pictures. I did review them, but I did not mean to ask for more pictures with better clarity.

It looks more like a flat macule, features more consistent with mole. Please understand that it is extremely difficult to distinguish between early wart and mole just with pictures no matter how clear they are. I strongly feel dermoscopy examination is necessary to make sure that it is not a wart at an early stage. Dermoscope has polarised light, that enhances the features of skin lesions making diagnosis accurate which seems necessary in your case.

Benign mole has very negligible growth and is harmless. Whereas wart grows considerably faster. If you do spot another such lesion or if you see this lesion becoming large/rough then it is absolutely necessary for you to visit a dermatologist in person and get appropriate treatment. Take care.

| 

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »

Can HPV be transmitted by kissing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a few warts on my leg and a barely noticeable wart on my penis. My doctor said that they look like HPV. He advised me to apply antifungal and steroid cream and wear condoms. The cream was not very effective even after four days. Can it be something other than HPV? Will condom...  Read Full »

What Should I Do For Facial Warts?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting facial warts again and again at the same place. I go for swimming every day. Is it because of that? I have undergone laser treatment twice and it went away with it. Now, again I have the same problem. What should I do? Is there anything that I can apply as I do not want to ...  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now