Q. My son was born with aortic stenosis. Is this because of the vaccine?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Nov 30, 2018

Dear doctor,

I was two months pregnant when I got vaccines to complete my citizenship status (immigration). My son was born with aortic stenosis. Is this because of the vaccine?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

Could you provide more information:

• What vaccines have you received?
  • What was the content of the vaccine?
  • Did you suffer from any infection during your pregnancy?
  • Did you have any disease during pregnancy and receive any medication for that?
  • Any family history of heart defect?
  • Any history of metabolic disorder in the mother?

The above are the important factors causing heart defects in newborn.

The incidence of the heart defect in the general population:

First look at the incidence of congenital heart defects. The crude incidence of congenital heart defects is approximately eight per 1000 live births. Among them, aortic valve stenosis accounts for 3 to 5 % of all the congenital heart defects. Some studies have documented a higher prevalence of aortic valve stenosis in white children than in black and Hispanic children. There is a strong male sex predilection in aortic valve stenosis: the male-to-female ratio is 4:1.

Now let us go to discuss the etiology (cause) of the defect:

Causes of aortic valve stenosis are multifactorial. There can be family predilection too. The recurrence risk in offspring of an affected father is approximately 3 % but is approximately 15 % in offspring of an affected mother. Abnormal fetal hemodynamics are theorized to contribute to the development of aortic valve stenosis. It is associated with some maternal infections (rubella) but literature regarding association with the vaccine is not available.

A definite genetic defect for aortic valve stenosis has not been identified, although it is associated with some syndrome, like Down syndrome, DiGeorge syndrome, etc.

Conclusion:

By the above discussion, it is clear that it is a multifactorial defect, we cannot blame it on the vaccine itself.

Management:

The management depends on the type of the problem. Some children may require balloon dilatation. Hope this will help you.

Kindly ask a child health specialist online if you have further queries --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

At what age can surgery be done for a branchial cyst?

Query: Hello doctor, My 20 months old son is diagnosed with a branchial cyst in the anterior aspect of his neck, at the right paramedian location at the level of the thyroid gland. It is anterior to the strap muscle with cranial extension up to the right submandibular gland. Is the only option surgery? I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arvind Guru
General Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your information and the ultrasonography report provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The only treatment for this condition is surgery. Any surgery that is done under general anesthesia does have a very small risk of things going wron...  Read Full

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are in doubt that dog bite has occurred or not, then it is always advisable to give the antirabies vaccine. There is no harm in giving an antirabies vaccine. You should give anti-rabies vaccine because rabies is a fatal disease once it occurs and there is no treatm...  Read Full

Which type of vaccination is good, painless or painful?

Query: Hello doctor,My son's tongue comes out while sleeping and most of the time. He is six weeks old. While breastfeeding, he uses his tongue to suck the milk. Is this normal? Please advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since the child is just six weeks old, you need not worry. It is normal for the baby to do this. It is just a variation. Do not panic and just relax. Watch your baby grow and change habits as he grows. For further information consult a child health specialist online --...  Read Full

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now