Q. I will have to drive for 10 hours with a newborn. Can I use a car bed?

Dr. Simy Mathew
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Dear doctor,

I will have to drive with a newborn from a hospital home for 10 hours (delivery is in another state). Even though the car seat is fine for short distance drives, would not it be better if the baby can lie down flat? Assuming the baby is full term and absolutely healthy, would it be alright to use a car bed which is designed for preemies? For example, Cosco Dreamride SE Latch infant car bed. Is there any health danger if a preemie's car bed is used for a full-term healthy baby?

Dr. Simy Mathew

Paediatrics
#

• No, there is absolutely no problem.
  • The only thing you should keep in mind is that you should be driving slowly. And, your baby should not have any jerks while traveling as there is a high risk of bleeding from the head for premies.

So, be careful and all the best.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|