Q. Can copper deficiency cause short-term memory loss and paresthesia of the face?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
Published on May 18, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am a 27 year old female, and I have severe short-term memory loss (8/30 MMSE). I have paresthesia bilaterally on my face, which has spread from the upper part to around my mouth. I also have startle myoclonus and muscle stiffness. My walking speed has slowed, and the muscles in my face are not working properly. My expression is massively reduced. Last year, I had lots of tests including a brain MRI. The only abnormality that was found was that I had a copper deficiency. Since then my memory has deteriorated, and my walking has slowed massively. I saw a doctor when the sensations on my face began to spread, and he advised to consult a neurologist urgently. But my GP will not order it, and I have nowhere to turn. I am hoping someone can give me some objective or an independent advice. Current medications that I take are Cyclizine IM, Pregabalin 50, Baclofen 10 mg, Co-codamol, and Quetiapine 150 mg at night for severe insomnia.

#

• Copper deficiency is a known cause for non-compressive myelopathy, which can explain your muscle stiffness, slowed walking, and clonus in legs.
  • But startle myoclonus is a different thing. It might be a flexor spasm in legs, which someone interpreted as startle myoclonus. But your new symptoms like memory loss and paresthesias on face require further evaluation.
  • It will be better if you can visit a neurologist in person for a detailed history and full clinical examination to analyze your symptoms. It will be very difficult for anyone to compile your symptoms without examining.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I suffer from insomnia. What can be done to get a good sleep?

Query: Hello doctor,I suffer from insomnia that had increased in the last year. I used a lot of medications that were prescribed to me by my local physicians such as (Diazepam, Lorazepam, Alprazolam, and Mirtazapine). Initially, it is useful at the beginning and then insomnia returned. I also follow a beha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bharat Udey
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have been in trouble with sleep disturbances for a quite long time. Also, it appears that you have difficulty in the onset of sleep rather than difficulty in maintaining the sleep. Before proceeding to management, I would like to know few things fir...  Read Full

Can injury to cervical region cause irritation in the leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I got hit on the left side on cervical region almost two years from now. MRI does not show any injury or significant stenosis but the electromyography shows left moderate radiculopathy C5-C8 and recent results showed deterioration. Symptoms also still exist on left arm and trapezius b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding your concern, I would explain that as there are no signs of myelopathy or spinal canal compression on MRI, there is no reason to panic about myelopathy. The pain in this region is related to the nerve damage. Physiotherapy can help improve your situation. I...  Read Full

How to overcome insomnia and memory problems?

Query: Hi doctor, For the past three months I have been suffering from worsening insomnia. I fall asleep with great difficulty. I used to get a light fragmented sleep, where I wake up several times and have many dreams. In fact do not even know if I have fallen asleep or not. I just know that time has pass...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your complaint. From what you have mentioned, it seems that you may be suffering from anxiety or stress related disorders. The symptoms that points towards anxiety or stress related disorders include tremors, twitching, sweating, insomnia, tiredness an...  Read Full