Q. I never feel sexually attracted to my wife. Is my problem psychological?

Answered by
Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 03, 2022

Hello doctor,

It has been two years since I married, but I have never felt sexually attracted to my wife, no matter what I do. I have tried Viagra and Ayurvedic medicines to increase sexual drive, but no results. My parents had compelled me into this marriage. Since I never had sex before marriage, I was told that a couple gets automatically attracted to each other no matter their feelings towards each other before the wedding. I tried having sex several times. Erection is maintained for a few minutes after thinking about another girl, but I do not ejaculate. Now for the last five months, even an erection is not happening. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year, which is under control now. I was also recently diagnosed with increased prolactin levels, and I am taking medicines for that. I think the problem is more psychological. Please advise me on what to do. I am currently on Thyronorm 100 mg daily and Cabgolin 0.25 mg weekly.

Please help.



Welcome to

I went through your query and understood your concern.

Hypothyroidism and high prolactin explain a few symptoms that you are suffering from. So before jumping to the conclusion that it is psychological, I suggest you to undergo blood investigations such as serum testosterone, serum LH (luteinizing hormone), and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone). You may also need sonography of the testes and visualization of the duct to see if they are blocked or not and also the prostate if it is enlarged or not.

Psychological anejaculation is usually situational and not permanent or complete, and you mentioned that you never had it. So I suggest you consult a urologist for your symptoms and get investigated properly to find the cause of your problem. It is a treatable condition and can be treated accordingly.

If the investigation is normal, you can think this is due to psychological origin. Then counseling and sex therapy will be helpful.

I hope this has helped.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Counseling for Newlyweds

The stress and strain of everyday life can distract the couple and steal away the leisure and pleasure from the marriage life ... Ideally, couples should seek premarital counseling before getting...   Read full

Can hypothyroidism cause intermittent palpitations?

.. advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they h...   Read full

How can I strengthen relationship with my spouse?

.. to avoid anxiety. Develop trust and comfortable feeling. You need to talk to each other and share your feelings. Deep breathing, walking, and yoga exercise have to be started. Foreplay involvement. For more information consult an internal medicine...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Impact of COVID-19 on Female Sexual Health
Women have been affected and still face the consequences of Coronavirus on their sexual health. Read more about the impa...  Read more»
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Pregnancy
Carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy occurs when a nerve supplying the hand is compressed at the forearm level due to the...  Read more»
Breaking the Link-Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Bacterial Overgrowth
A surplus of bacteria in the intestine causes irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Read the article below to know more about ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.