Q. I never feel sexually attracted to my wife. Is my problem psychological?

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 03, 2022

It has been two years since I married, but I have never felt sexually attracted to my wife, no matter what I do. I have tried Viagra and Ayurvedic medicines to increase sexual drive, but no results. My parents had compelled me into this marriage. Since I never had sex before marriage, I was told that a couple gets automatically attracted to each other no matter their feelings towards each other before the wedding. I tried having sex several times. Erection is maintained for a few minutes after thinking about another girl, but I do not ejaculate. Now for the last five months, even an erection is not happening. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism last year, which is under control now. I was also recently diagnosed with increased prolactin levels, and I am taking medicines for that. I think the problem is more psychological. Please advise me on what to do. I am currently on Thyronorm 100 mg daily and Cabgolin 0.25 mg weekly.

Please help.

#

I went through your query and understood your concern.

Hypothyroidism and high prolactin explain a few symptoms that you are suffering from. So before jumping to the conclusion that it is psychological, I suggest you to undergo blood investigations such as serum testosterone, serum LH (luteinizing hormone), and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone). You may also need sonography of the testes and visualization of the duct to see if they are blocked or not and also the prostate if it is enlarged or not.

Psychological anejaculation is usually situational and not permanent or complete, and you mentioned that you never had it. So I suggest you consult a urologist for your symptoms and get investigated properly to find the cause of your problem. It is a treatable condition and can be treated accordingly.

If the investigation is normal, you can think this is due to psychological origin. Then counseling and sex therapy will be helpful.

I hope this has helped.

|