Q. I have pain in my back and the urge to urinate even if the bladder is not full. Why does it happen?

Dr. Reetika Joshi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 22, 2020

I have been experiencing pain in my back on the right side for a few weeks. The problem varies from flank to lower back. With some movement, I have pain. My bladder also feels full, very often having an urge to urinate even if the bladder is not full. So I took a muscle relaxant and Ibuprofen, but the pain did not disappear. I have white discharge as well, but not so much. My periods are irregular, and they come very late, around 10 to 15 days late. I have heavy bleeding and very severe pain during my periods. It usually lasts six to seven days. I was doing yoga regularly for a month but left for a few days, and since I had this back pain, I am not doing yoga right now. Two days back, I had severe pain on my right chest and upper back with frequent burping. The pain was more every time I used to breathe.

I took Pan D twice the next day, and it is better now. But this back pain is troubling me. So I got an ultrasound of the pelvic and abdomen. It shows polycystic morphology in both the ovaries and the ovaries are enlarged in size. I am getting married in six months, so I am anxious. I got an ultrasound seven months back due to irregular periods, and it showed polycystic ovary morphology in my left ovary. I consulted a gynecologist then, and she told me to do exercise and said it would be alright. And after doing regular exercise, I immediately got my periods, which was delayed previously for 25 days. Does polycystic morphology mean I have a PCOD?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Thanks for your query.

I have gone through your history and USG (Ultrasonography) reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) .

Your ovaries are bulky, but ovarian volume is not mentioned in the latest report. According to the size, it will be more than 10 cc. We call it PCOD when along with polycystic morphology of ovaries, the patient also suffers from irregular cycles, acne, weight gain, and unwanted hair. But every patient does not have every symptom. Backache and lower abdominal pain can be due to bulky ovaries and also due to urine infection. Yes, your doctor was right; if PCOD (Polycystic ovary disease) is mild, it can just need weight reduction and a healthy lifestyle. But if it is not benefitting alone from that, you may need hormonal pills. A course of three to six months may be needed. It may help to regularize your periods. PCOD, cannot be permanently cured. It is a lifestyle disorder with a genetic predisposition. A lifelong healthy and active lifestyle is to be practiced to prevent long-term effects like diabetes, heart disease, subfertility, and infertility. But it would help if you did not panic. So do not worry, you will be fine. I am there to help you.

| 

I m having delayed periods, inflammatory acne on face and chest and arms below shoulder. I also have unwanted hair growth on my face. I m also gaining weight slowly. I m also experiencing anxiety due to family problems at home. I m trying to do meditation for it. I m also having hair fall. Is my PCOD mild or severe? Should I undergo hormone therapy or can it be managed with exercise and lifestyle changes? What can I do for the back pain and lower abdomen pain? Should I get a urine analysis done? Please suggest me doctor what I should do further. Thank you.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# Dear Lochana
For backache , you can take pain relief medication.
Tablet Diclofenac 50mg Twice daily for 3 days.
Get a Urine routine examination to rule out any infection.
If your periods are not regular and other symptoms are also present. You can take a 3 months course of hormonal pills under doctor supervision.
You can also consult a dietician for your diet chart and managing calorie intake.
But important is healthy and active lifestyle.

take care.

|