Q. I have PCOS with irregular periods and weight gain. Please suggest.

Answered by
Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have PCOS. From the last year, I get my periods regularly in the gap of two to three months. My weight increased almost double within this time and I am not taking any medication. Please prescribe.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Periods can be irregular due to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome). But it is your hormonal cycle which is disturbed and periods are irregular due to it. You can take Ovral-L like hormonal medicines for 21 days and then seven days gap and repeat for 21 days for three cycles. Period should come in the 7-day pills free period.

Do thyroid profile test. Try to reduce weight. Because hormonal imbalance is very difficult to treat. And the same you can achieve by just losing weight. Because your body requirement decrease and your body produces same amount of hormones. Periods can regularize on its own. Do drink more water. You may need to do other hormonal tests if it does not regularize after all these.

But with delayed period and PCOS there is no much to worry. Problem can be delayed menses and difficulty in conceiving. With delay in menses, your blood levels become good. Yes, if you are trying for pregnancy then you may require treatment. Otherwise no need to take much tension about periods.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Are these medicines harmful to anything? And I also feel pain in the ovary area many times regularly from that one year period, why would that be? And also I am not trying to conceive as well.

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Every medicine has its own side effects. No, these tablets are not much harmful. But you have to take without missing it. On missing, you can bleed more. And drink more water while on tablets.

Ovarian area pain can be also due to intestinal problems. You have to eat a less spicy and regular meals. Drink more water.

If not trying for conceiving then do not take much tension about periods. As I said it increases your blood hemoglobin level.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full »

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full »

Can I Get Pregnant with PCOS?

Article Overview: With the right treatment and a healthy lifestyle, even women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) have high chances of getting pregnant. To know more, read the article. Read Article

Dr. Pari Bansari
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

PCOS (polycystic ovaries syndrome) is quite challenging and frustrating. Most women do not seek help until they get menstrual irregularity and have a problem in getting pregnant. The good news is, with the right treatment and healthy lifestyle, women with PCOS have high chances of getting pregnant. ...  Read Article



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.