Q. My wife is 8 weeks pregnant and taking Asmita. Can pregnancy be continued?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My wife had irregular periods. We consulted a gynecologist and she suggested starting Asmita tablet for 21 days and Oosure tablet for a month. We started medication from mid of last month. Now, ultrasound says that she is 8 weeks pregnant. My question is can she continue the pregnancy? Or go for abortion? I do not want any complications for my child. She also has thyroid problem.

#

• Both the drugs Asmita 21 (combination of Drospirenone and Ethinyl estradiol) and Oosure tablets (Myo-Inositol) have been advised to her presuming that she was a case of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and had concerns regarding ovulation.
  • But, as Asmita are estrogen and progesterone hormones, they do not have negative effect on the fetus.
  • In fact, Drospirenone shall be supportive to pregnancy.
  • Oosure tablets are supplements which decrease the insulin resistance on PCOS cases and are not harmful for fetus which can be continued during pregnancy as well.
  • Stop Asmita and Oosure both at present and switch to plain form of Folic acid tablets like Fol-123 (combination of Docosahexaenoic acid, Folic acid, Methylcobalamin and vitamin B12) and micronized Progesterone 200 mg daily like Microgest till 14 weeks of gestation.
  • It is likely that she was already pregnant when these medicines were advised and a urine pregnancy test or an ultrasound was not done prior to prescribing these drugs.
  • Nevertheless, you should rest assure that these medicines will not harm your baby.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks a lot. I read that Asmita tablet is an OCP and bioactive form of estrogen. So, does it have progesterone effect? Kindly see the image which I have attached.

#

• It has biogenic ethanol estradiol, which is an estrogen, and Drospirenone, which is a synthetic progesterone, and safe even if taken during pregnancy.
  • Progesterone is the hormone which is required to support the pregnancy. The estrogen element may cause some spotting; hence Asmita should be stopped completely.

|