Q. Should I get a PCR test for diagnosing the cause of chronic pelvic pain?

Hi doctor,

We spoke yesterday regarding my chronic pelvic pain condition.

I would be doing both urine and semen culture soon. Is there any specific culture or PCR testing to be done? The reason I am asking this is that the traditional dipstick and culture test does not seem to be accurate based on current research.

I have read up on a urologist who has done extensive research on conditions like mine. He mentions that chronic prostatitis and interstitial cystitis are basically chronic UTIs. He has used a method of antimicrobial treatment that has helped many of his patients. His way of testing urine samples are also different.

Please let me know if my condition is possible to be an untreated chronic UTI. Also, what are the specific bacteria and pathogens that I need to be sending my culture for?

I have attached a picture of a more advanced testing method, do let me know if I should get that done. Kindly give your opinion.



Welcome back to

The method varies, and the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is accurate when there are atypical bacteria like TB (tuberculosis), for example. Your urine microscopic analysis showed no bacteria. The thing I am trying to get is the sample that contains the organism, like semen. I do advise for PCR if culture is negative and pus cells and leukocytes are there suspecting atypical infection. And that can be the second step. We get urine analysis and culture semen culture, and we go according to the report if there are pus cells and organisms despite negative culture, then we do a urine PCR test. Why do this is because PCR does not provide the sensitivity for that bacteria to the antibiotic. Therefore we will go step-by-step.

Chronic pelvic pain syndrome

I suggest you the following medications:

1) Celecoxib 200 mg once daily.

2) Tablet Tamsulosine 0.4 mg once at night.

3) Toltaridine (Tolterodine Tartrate) 4 mg once daily.

4) Neurobion (Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12) one tablet once daily.

If you have any more queries, please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am getting pain in penis and tingling sensation in testicles. Please help.

.. do point towards chronic prostatitis. With negative culture and positive pus cells, it is likely that you are suffering from CPPS IIIA, which is non-bacterial inflammatory chronic prostatitis. Now, this is a difficult condition to manage and requi...   Read full

My HIV DNA PCR and tridot test are negative. Do I need further tests?

.. great that you have been found negative for HIV and other STIs (sexually transmitted infection). All the tests which you had taken for HIV were highly sensitive and specific and gives accurate results. It is unlikely for antibiotics and other medi...   Read full

Is negative RNA PCR test on day 12 a conclusive one?

.. gone through your complaints and understand your concern. RNA PCR (polymerase chain reaction) at 12 days is not conclusive. It is 99.5 percent sensitive. I would recommend you to go for enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay test - ELISA test at 12 wee...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.