Q. Will recurrent prostate infection affect fertility?

Dr. Senduran N
Published on Jan 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 27, 2020

I am a 34-year-old male with recurring prostate infections with inflammation which is really painful with kidney stones happening all the time. I am 6 feet and about 215 lbs weight. I am currently on Trileptal, Ranitidine, and Omeprazole and I have been on them for a long time like 10 years or so. My symptoms are extreme pain in the lower back and painful urination and ejaculation and it hurts bad when I poop and I have 0% energy, I feel totally drained and I have constant hot and cold sweats.

My questions are can this lead to permanent damage or cancer? And also what to do? I am waiting to be scheduled with a urologist. I have been battling these symptoms for over three and a half months with a few days of relief and the pain starts again. Any help you can give me will help out a lot. Also, can this lead to me not being able to have kids?

Dr. Senduran N

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

The condition you are having could be chronic prostatitis (usually bacterial or any obstructive pathology). Chronic symptoms suggest that you need complete urological evaluation with urine analysis, urine culture, ultrasound of prostate, etc, and treatment accordingly. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Consume a lot of clear fluids. Empirical treatment with Cotrimoxazole or Ofloxacin for two weeks can be tried if the appointment with urologist is getting late.

With proper treatment, there should not be any problems with fertility. You can normally have kids. Development of or transformation to cancer is highly unlikely which may occur late after many years (late after 50-60's). You can try Urispas (Flavoxate) 100 mg tablet twice daily after doctor's prescription to get relief from urinary problems.

| 

How to treat swollen and painful glans?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old unmarried male. My height is 6'2" and weight is 73 kg. For the past three months, I have pain in the left side of my glans penis. At the same time, I have a continuous pain on the left side of the anus. The pain around the anus is not severe, but it is enough to bother...  Read Full »

Can low vitamin D cause abdominal pain and constant cough?

Query: Hello doctor, I feel pain in my lower abdomen. The throat is always filled with a cough and no energy. I diagnosed earlier and the doctor said that I have lower levels of vitamin D. What should I do? Height 175 cm and weight 65 to 68 kg.  Read Full »

Can chronic constipation cause prostatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 27 years old. I have been suffering from bladder and lower back pain for about six months now. I have been to the doctor several times and each time the test was negative for infection. I used to get relief from symptoms once I take the antibiotics, but the pain will recur. I do no...  Read Full »