Q. I have a tear in my penis at the bottom of my urethral opening, which pains while urinating. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Sandeep V Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 24, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 33-year-old male with a tear in my penis at the bottom of my urethra opening. I believe my injury was from rough intercourse without lubrication. My wound is extremely painful when I urinate, and when I tried opening my urethra bigger to alleviate the pain. I believe the tear got worse, and my penis began to bleed, which scared me quite a bit. I washed my penis and dressed it in Neosporin and gauze. I am nervous about urinating again because of the pain from the injury, which I exacerbated. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern and the pain you went through. It is one of the most painful conditions a man can get. The steps you have taken are adequate. If there is an oozing of blood when you urinate, then you should meet a doctor urgently. If the oozing is from the tear on the penis's surface, it will get better with Neosporin (Neomycin Sulfate, Polymyxin B, and Bacitracin) and gauze. You can apply the Povidone-iodine ointment also. Do not worry. You can urinate, and it will not cause any pain. Do not apply any other ointment or gel till the wound heals. Please feel free to clarify.


Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

I guess the definition of ooze would be helpful. Since I last urinated, the bleeding has stopped. After sitting for an hour, I have nothing on my penis, and no blood has come from the tear. So I do not believe I need to see a doctor. The tear is at the tip of the penis, so it is in the inside and outside. It is hard to explain.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I am sorry I have not explained the term "ooze." Ooze is when you see blood coming from the injury and does not stop. Since it has stopped bleeding, it means there is no ooze. There is nothing much to be done for the tear. It will heal by itself. If the pain worsens or there is blood in the urine, you should immediately consult the doctor. The injury is on the surface of the penis, and so it will heal with the local application of medications.


Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
How to manage pain in penis?

.. the infection involving right testis, right sperm tube and both sides of groin lymph nodes. Please get a urine routine and culture test done. From the list of medications, I do not see any antibiotic. I suggest you start capsule Doxycycline 100 m...   Read full

I got hit on penis accidentally and getting pain on erection. Why?

Hello doctor, I had a minor injury four weeks ago when my partner while on the bed accidentally hit my erected penis on the left side next to the frenulum under the head ...   Read full

I am getting pain in penis and tingling sensation in testicles. Please help.

.. do point towards chronic prostatitis. With negative culture and positive pus cells, it is likely that you are suffering from CPPS IIIA, which is non-bacterial inflammatory chronic prostatitis. Now, this is a difficult condition to manage and requi...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have a curvature in my penis. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a curvature towards left in my penis. As far as I can remember, I have it from the beginning. I just want to know if this curvature is normal. Since six months, I have mild pain in the head of the penis. The pain is not constant. It pains now and goes away in some time and the...  Read Full »

I get abdominal pain while urinating, and my urine shows RBC. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, From the last two years, I have some problems. At an interval of 2 to 3 months, I sometimes get lower abdominal pain while urinating. A few months back, the pain was terrible for two days. I consulted my doctor, and he advised me some medications. He told that it is a case of cystiti...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have vaginal pain while urinating along with stomach and back pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the inside of my vagina when I pee and lower back and stomach pain that comes and goes. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Also Read

Sinusitis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Sinusitis is the infection of the air cavities within the nasal passages. Normally, the healthy sinuses are filled with ...  Read more»
Asthma and Its Rising Incidence
This article explains about asthma and its causes. It also focuses on the benefits of starting early treatment to lead a...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.