Q. I have a tear in my penis at the bottom of my urethral opening, which pains while urinating. Why?

Dr. Sandeep V Nair
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 33-year-old male with a tear in my penis at the bottom of my urethra opening. I believe my injury was from rough intercourse without lubrication. My wound is extremely painful when I urinate, and when I tried opening my urethra bigger to alleviate the pain. I believe the tear got worse, and my penis began to bleed, which scared me quite a bit. I washed my penis and dressed it in Neosporin and gauze. I am nervous about urinating again because of the pain from the injury, which I exacerbated. Please help.

#

I understand your concern and the pain you went through. It is one of the most painful conditions a man can get. The steps you have taken are adequate. If there is an oozing of blood when you urinate, then you should meet a doctor urgently. If the oozing is from the tear on the penis's surface, it will get better with Neosporin (Neomycin Sulfate, Polymyxin B, and Bacitracin) and gauze. You can apply the Povidone-iodine ointment also. Do not worry. You can urinate, and it will not cause any pain. Do not apply any other ointment or gel till the wound heals. Please feel free to clarify.

Thank you for your reply.

I guess the definition of ooze would be helpful. Since I last urinated, the bleeding has stopped. After sitting for an hour, I have nothing on my penis, and no blood has come from the tear. So I do not believe I need to see a doctor. The tear is at the tip of the penis, so it is in the inside and outside. It is hard to explain.

#

I am sorry I have not explained the term "ooze." Ooze is when you see blood coming from the injury and does not stop. Since it has stopped bleeding, it means there is no ooze. There is nothing much to be done for the tear. It will heal by itself. If the pain worsens or there is blood in the urine, you should immediately consult the doctor. The injury is on the surface of the penis, and so it will heal with the local application of medications.

|