Q. Why am I getting on and off painless abscess in gum?

Dr. Sreekesh Menon
Published on Aug 17, 2018

For over four months now, on my upper, outer gum, I have had an abscess. It comes and goes but never completely vanishes. It does not hurt at all. My tooth or molar looks fine. I would not even know it was there if my younger did not scrape over it.

Occasionally it has a small pussy head and it runs vertically. Any clue what it is without taking an X-ray? If it is an infected root can I reverse it with a clean diet and swishing with Peroxide or something?

#

You have a periodontal abscess. For treating a periodontal abscess, the abscess will be drained and the periodontal pocket will be cleaned.

The surfaces of the root of the tooth will then be smoothed out by scaling and planing below the gum line. This helps the tooth heal and prevents further infections from occurring. It has to be done by a dentist.

Try using Chlorhexidine mouthwash for a month. It may help to reduce your condition.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

All About Gum Abscess

Article Overview: Pus-filled pockets that form in the gums (gingiva) surrounding the tooth is called gum abscess. To know more about this, read the article. Read Article

Causes Any abscess arising in the region of the gum can be due to either of the three causes: Gingival abscess: This is the one that remains confined to your gum only and does not involve the deeper structures. Periodontal abscess: This is the one that is due to a deeper problem and involve...  Read Article

Can tooth abscess spread throughout the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old female. I have an abscess in my tooth for over a year now. I am getting it infected for the second time now. The previous infection was before six months. It is present at the bottom of one of my lower molars. It hurts me a lot. How long will it take to spread throughou...  Read Full »