Q. How can I avoid developing a superbug in my mouth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Mar 02, 2018

I am a 62-year-old female with a history of chronic periodontal disease, particularly involving a pocket between teeth #7 and #8, which is associated with some bone loss and becomes infected every few months. I take fastidious care of my teeth and gums, including flossing, using a proxy brush and water pick at least two to three times a day, which helps to keep the periodontal inflammation under control. But, every few months, I have a flare-up of redness, swelling and sometimes bleeding with pus in this area in spite of diligent care. During times of flare-ups, I use hydrogen peroxide in water pick, good germs designed specifically for gums and Peridex following cleaning. Sometimes, this regimen works well and resolves the infection. Other times, it does not, and I have to resort to having the pocket cleaned out using Cavitron ultrasonic and treated with Arestin (Minocycline) 0.1 % antibiotic gel by my periodontist.

I started having symptoms of pressure and mild pain in and around tooth #8 about two days ago. I guess these symptoms to be the beginning of infection. There is no redness, swelling or abscess of the gum at this point. I do not want to lose the tooth, so I am very concerned to treat this infection early but, I am concerned about using the antibiotic gel too much and creating a resistant superbug.

The X-ray consistently shows a large pocket between #7 and #8 with some bone loss. I am unable to post the X-ray here. The tooth is intact.

The pocket was treated using Arestin (Minocycline) 0.1 % antibiotic by placing it in the pocket on several occasions since five years with in-between gaps of one to two years. Otherwise, it is managed with my daily hygiene regimen, regular hygienist cleanings every two months, including using Cavitron ultrasonic to clean out the pocket, and, use of Hydrogen peroxide, good germs, and, Peridex during flares.

My questions for you are:

1. I am concerned about developing a superbug in my mouth (i.e., antibiotic-resistance) from frequent use of the Arestin antibiotic gel in that pocket. How dangerous would that be?
  2. What is the likelihood such a resistant bacteria is created? Is there anything you can do about it?
  3. In the situation where the gum gets infected to the degree I need to get an antibiotic gel put on by the periodontist, would oral antibiotics be preferable or more effective? How effective would oral antibiotics be for this?
  4. Would a root canal help to reduce the problem of ongoing, repeated infections in regards to the gum disease? Or would that be irrelevant to the gum disease?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

The antibiotic resistance is not a big issue as such, but I would suggest to not apply antibiotic gel more than two weeks with one or two months gap in between. Using warm salt water gargle twice a day is more than enough for good hygiene of gums.

Root canal treatment will not help much in resolving gum infection as such but will stop any toothache or sensitivity you might be having in the concerned tooth.

The X-ray which you have attached suggests a ceramic bridge which is placed to replace a missing tooth (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but root canal treatment has not been done for the supporting two teeth. It is better to get them root canal treated to prevent any mobility of those teeth and to get added strength by ankylosis of the roots to the bone. And if the gum infection is around that bridge then it is highly recommended to get them root canal treated for more strength.

Chlorhexidine antibiotic gel or even Metrogyl (Metronidazole), if available there, is good enough for a local application. Continue with mild Hydrogen peroxide gargle or salt water (I recommend) and scaling of your teeth and gums once in six months.

For more information consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

Will taking Metronidazole and Tergynan affect baby during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am six weeks pregnant. Before knowing that I was pregnant, I was treated for recurrent bacterial vaginosis with Metronidazole orally and Tergynan vaginally for a week approximately on weeks 4 to 5 of pregnancy. How it can harm my baby? Cause I heard that it is contraindicated in fir...  Read Full >>

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are medications those can be advised in pregnancy as, during the antenatal period, many symptoms could occur that need to be treated. Metronidazole can be advised in pregnancy. So, do not worry and Tergynan is also antifungal antibiotic and it was advised locally,...  Read Full

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have an amebic liver abscess, 6x7 cm is considered a large one. It is a protozoal infection that has spread from colon to liver. Medications treat the abscess in most cases, in a small number of cases surgery is required. Eradication of protozoal infection from the...  Read Full

Can I use whitening toothpaste for the yellow stains in my teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I have yellow stains in my teeth. I feel very bad before others.¬†This problem has been there since childhood. I have attached the pictures of my stained teeth. Please advise.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is a permanent discoloration which cannot be removed by normal means like dental scaling. It needs a treatment called lamineering of the front 4 or 6 teeth as required. In...  Read Full

Ask a Periodontist Now