Q. Would braces close wide gap between front teeth?

Answered by
Dr. Naveen Thomas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 23, 2021

Hi doctor,

I have a wide gap between front teeth due to short upper and lower frenulums, which were removed nine years back. I was also treated for periodontal disease as a result of these gaps. Now I have recessions (pockets), the exposed root of that front tooth that is deviated. Do I need surgery for correction? What type of surgery? The lower front two teeth also have a minor recession. Please advice.



Welcome to

You need to get root canal treatment for the upper and lower central teeth and then place a fixed partial denture (FPD ceramic crowns) on them to close the space. This will give a permanent solution to your problem. It will provide you with a much better esthetic solution. Kindly show it to your dentist and ask for a fixed partial denture. It will take about two weeks to finish the treatment.

Revert in case of further queries.

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply. The root canal treatment is aimed at denervation and cleaning, right? Also, are dentures the removable ones when I have to eat? Why do I not go for implants?



Welcome back to

Yes, root canal treatment is like that, which will help reshape your bent incisors and place a modified ceramic cap over them. The denture is completely esthetic, and you would not even know that you had placed a fixed denture in the area. FPD is the best choice for you. Implants are less viable in your case due to bone loss and periodontitis in the area.

Hi doctor,

Thanks for your reply. Would the braces do the job? A few dentists here are suggesting that.



Welcome back to

Braces would do the job if your gums are very healthy and the teeth in front are firm. But, you have mentioned deep pockets around the front teeth, and gums are receded. In such cases usually, braces are avoided. If your dentist or much better if an orthodontist (braces specialist) says he can correct it using braces, then you can go on with his treatment. Please send me a picture of your whole mouth from a distance while showing teeth so that I can look from a distance.

Thank you doctor,

I have attached pictures for your reference. Please advice with that.



Welcome back to

In your case, after going through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you need to undergo the following treatments to correct the irregularities. First, put on braces to close the space in some of the upper and lower teeth. In the upper, your left central incisor has a high gingival recession, which will mostly be lost after putting on braces as it will become highly mobile. If not, then you are lucky. You have two missing lateral incisor teeth in the upper arch, which need to be replaced. Ask your dentist to make a ceramic FPD from the right canine tooth to the left canine tooth, a total of six. This will give you a permanent esthetic teeth alignment. This is the comprehensive solution to your problem, but it will take about one and a half years in total.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to save my decayed teeth?

.. grossly decayed tooth can be saved if you ask your dentist to do root canal treatment on it. Root canal treatment followed by a metal post in it and ceramic crown over it will help in saving the tooth. If you cannot afford the treatment, then the ...   Read full

Having problem with tooth filling. Would it be close to the nerve?

.. is indeed due to deep filling very close to the nerve for comfort. Usually, if it is very deep some dentists put a base below the permanent filling to prevent temperature difference inside the mouth to transfer it to the nerve. If it is not possib...   Read full

Diabetes and Periodontitis

Professional treatment and good hygienic oral care may help in reversing gingivitis ... Treatment is primarily performed and aimed at removing the plaque and bacterial deposits on the affected pe...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Impact of COVID-19 on Female Sexual Health
Women have been affected and still face the consequences of Coronavirus on their sexual health. Read more about the impa...  Read more»
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Pregnancy
Carpal tunnel syndrome in pregnancy occurs when a nerve supplying the hand is compressed at the forearm level due to the...  Read more»
Breaking the Link-Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Bacterial Overgrowth
A surplus of bacteria in the intestine causes irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Read the article below to know more about ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Periodontist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.