Q. Would braces close wide gap between front teeth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a wide gap between front teeth that was due to short upper and lower frenulums, which were removed nine years back. I also treated for periodontal disease as a result of these gaps. Now I have recessions (pockets), exposed root of that front tooth and also it is deviated. Do I need surgery for correction? What type of surgery? The lower front two teeth also have little recession. Please advice.

#

• You need to get root canal treatment for the upper and lower central teeth then placement of a fixed partial denture (FPD ceramic crowns) on them to close the space. This will give a permanent solution to your problem.
  • It will give you a much better esthetic solution.
  • Kindly show it to your dentist and ask for fixed partial denture. It will take about two weeks to finish the treatment.

For further information consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

The root canal treatment is aimed at denervation and cleaning right? Also, are dentures the removable ones when I have to eat? Why do not I go for implants?

#

• Yes, root canal treatment is like that which will help in reshaping your bended incisors and place a modified ceramic cap over it.
  • The denture is completely esthetic and you would not even know that you had placed fixed denture in the area. FPD is the best choice for you.
  • Implants are less viable in your case due to bone loss and periodontitis in the area.

For further doubts consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

Thanks you doctor,

Would braces do the job? A few dentists here are suggesting that.

#

• Braces would do the job if your gums are very healthy and the teeth in front are firm.
  • But, you have mentioned deep pockets around the front teeth and gums are receded. In such cases usually braces are avoided.
  • If your dentist or much better if an orthodontist (braces specialist) says he can correct it using braces, then you can go on with his treatment.
  • Send me picture of your whole mouth from a distance while showing teeth so that I can look from a distance.

I have attached pictures for your reference. Please advice with that.

#

In your case after going through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you need to undergo following treatments to correct the irregularities.

• First put on braces to close the lower teeth space and some of the upper too.
  • In upper, your left central incisor has high gingival recession which will mostly lost after putting on braces as it will become highly mobile. If not then lucky.
  • You have two missing lateral incisor teeth in upper which needs to be replaced.
  • Ask your dentist to make a ceramic FPD from the right canine tooth to the left canine tooth, total six. This will give you a permanent esthetic teeth alignment.
  • This is the comprehensive solution to your problem, but it will take time of about one and a half year in total.

|