Q. Would braces close wide gap between front teeth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on May 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have a wide gap between front teeth that was due to short upper and lower frenulums, which were removed nine years back. I also treated for periodontal disease as a result of these gaps. Now I have recessions (pockets), exposed root of that front tooth and also it is deviated. Do I need surgery for correction? What type of surgery? The lower front two teeth also have little recession. Please advice.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• You need to get root canal treatment for the upper and lower central teeth then placement of a fixed partial denture (FPD ceramic crowns) on them to close the space. This will give a permanent solution to your problem.
  • It will give you a much better esthetic solution.
  • Kindly show it to your dentist and ask for fixed partial denture. It will take about two weeks to finish the treatment.

For further information consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

The root canal treatment is aimed at denervation and cleaning right? Also, are dentures the removable ones when I have to eat? Why do not I go for implants?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• Yes, root canal treatment is like that which will help in reshaping your bended incisors and place a modified ceramic cap over it.
  • The denture is completely esthetic and you would not even know that you had placed fixed denture in the area. FPD is the best choice for you.
  • Implants are less viable in your case due to bone loss and periodontitis in the area.

For further doubts consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

Thanks you doctor,

Would braces do the job? A few dentists here are suggesting that.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• Braces would do the job if your gums are very healthy and the teeth in front are firm.
  • But, you have mentioned deep pockets around the front teeth and gums are receded. In such cases usually braces are avoided.
  • If your dentist or much better if an orthodontist (braces specialist) says he can correct it using braces, then you can go on with his treatment.
  • Send me picture of your whole mouth from a distance while showing teeth so that I can look from a distance.

I have attached pictures for your reference. Please advice with that.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

In your case after going through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you need to undergo following treatments to correct the irregularities.

• First put on braces to close the lower teeth space and some of the upper too.
  • In upper, your left central incisor has high gingival recession which will mostly lost after putting on braces as it will become highly mobile. If not then lucky.
  • You have two missing lateral incisor teeth in upper which needs to be replaced.
  • Ask your dentist to make a ceramic FPD from the right canine tooth to the left canine tooth, total six. This will give you a permanent esthetic teeth alignment.
  • This is the comprehensive solution to your problem, but it will take time of about one and a half year in total.

Can a decayed tooth be saved?

Query: Hi doctor,I am dealing with a big problem. Over the years my teeth have been slowly decaying. I was not big on brushing and now my molars are completely messed up. One of them is basically gone with a very dark color hole in it. The other molar is slowly getting to that point and it is about halfway...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The one grossly decayed tooth can be saved if you ask your dentist to do root canal treatment on it. Root canal treatment followed by a metal post in it and ceramic crown over it will help in saving the tooth. If you cannot afford the treatment, then the only solution ...  Read Full

Why is my dental implant getting reinfected often?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my tooth removed and a dental implant done five months ago. About three months ago it got infected. I went to my dentist, who cleaned out the infection and prescribed antibiotics. The infection did not go away, so I was prescribed antibiotics two more times. Once again, the infe...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is hard that you got infected several times. If still infection persists, now your dentist must remove the implant and let the area heal. Maybe this foreign body is not accepted well by the immunity of your body so infection had occurred. Antibiotic coverage is enoug...  Read Full

Can deep filling close to nerve cause sensitivity?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently broke a part of my back tooth besides an old filling. A week ago, my dentist removed the old filling and repaired everything with white filling. Since then, I have been getting a sharp pinch to the center of my tooth if I try to chew with it. There is no pain. It is a little se...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The sensitivity is indeed due to deep filling very close to the nerve for comfort. Usually, if it is very deep some dentists put a base below the permanent filling to prevent temperature difference inside the mouth to transfer it to the nerve. If it is not possible, th...  Read Full

Ask a Periodontist Now