Q. Is neuropathy from prediabetes the same as neuropathy from diabetes?

Dr. Aida Quka

I have a question about peripheral neuropathy in the feet caused by metabolic syndrome and prediabetes. I was diagnosed with prediabetes two months back, and I was at a very early stage along with a triglyceride level of 1.97, which is slightly high. I had elevated blood pressure and gained lots of weight around the middle. I started losing weight and exercising to date and have lost 20 pounds, but two months back, I started getting neuropathy in my feet, it travels a little up my legs and then the other parts. Neuropathy has not gotten worse. I noticed that my feet seem to be colder and tingly. I do not seem to have any muscle weakness, and I do not seem to feel any real numbness, but I wonder if this will subside. As soon as the symptoms started, I put a sugar monitor on myself and got my sugars very tight very quickly and successfully brought all of my numbers down.

#

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that we can not make predictions if this neuropathy will subside because if it is related to diabetes, it usually does not subside. But, if it is related to malnutrition, weight loss, and diet, there are good chances to improve with vitamins. Anyway, I would recommend taking Vitamin B complex and Alpha-lipoic acid 1200 mg daily, coupled with a lot of physical activity, to help improve your situation. I would also recommend checking vitamin E and vitamin B1, and vitamin D plasma levels for possible deficiency.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need them.

Kind regards.

I do not have diabetes, but I am at a very early stage of prediabetes. A1C was 6.0. My blood test all came back normal except markers for metabolic syndrome. Is neuropathy from pre-diabetes considered the same as neuropathy from full diabetes?

#

Neuropathy due to prediabetes is the same as that of diabetes because the physiopathology is the same. Nerves are damaged gradually by the accumulation of glucose, years before the patient gets the diagnosis of diabetes.

Anyway, this does not mean that you will not recover from this situation, as it seems to be a mild form of neuropathy, and prediabetes is not the only cause that we can acuse for this situation. Diet and extreme weight loss can lead to neuropathy too. I recommend taking the above-mentioned supplements and performing the above-mentioned tests to investigate other possible causes underlying your neuropathy.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask me again.

I wish you all the best.

|