Q. Why do I have severe lower left back pain?

Dr. Nasir
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I am 50 years old with a weight of 84 kilograms and a height of five feet six inches. I have severe pain in the lower left back at night. It is present between the posterior ribs above the hips. It starts about three inches from the lumbar spine and wraps directly to the left. To know the exact area of reference, it is at the transverse level to the belly bottom. I have used vodka extremely for ten years and stopped it. Now I am a new sober for about two and a half months.

#

I can understand the inconvenience. For pain, you can take analgesics and it helps to reduce pain. You need to do a renal function test along with an abdominal ultrasound to rule out any kidney involvement.

When I lie down on my back, it goes away. It causes awful pain while standing and sitting. Can I have a problem with the left kidney?

#

You can have peritonitis. Pain due to a renal cause does not show changes in intensity and posture. Due to peritonitis, changes in pain can occur. An ultrasound abdomen can be done with other routine investigations. It helps to provide a proper diagnosis.

|