Q. Is surgery the only option for phimosis?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am suffering from severe phimosis with pinhole meatus. My age is 31 and I am unmarried. My urine stream has become weak since three to four years, but never knew my penis is abnormal. But since six months, urine stream became too thin and then surgeon told me about the disease. Is surgery the only option? Each time it takes two to three minutes to urinate. If surgery is the last option, how dangerous is it? Can it get cured by conservative management? All my urine and blood test reports are normal. Please guide.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• I think it is dangerous to keep postponing the surgery, because of fear. You can even develop renal failure with this.
  • There is no natural remedy available for this condition. So, I request you to proceed with surgery at the earliest.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

I was also concerned about pinhole meatus. The surgeon said that he would simply dilate the meatus. Is that a proper and effective procedure? Please also list the renal disease which I may be prone to so that I am watchful about initial symptoms till I get the date for surgery.

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

For your pinhole meatus (meatal stenosis), you will need a meatotomy. You should watch out for facial puffiness, pedal edema and decreased urine output.

|