Q. I need a second opinion for my skin pigmentation.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Nov 14, 2016

I am seeking a second opinion on an issue. Recently, a doctor at a skin cancer clinic observed my hands and arms and noticed sunspots on my hands. I have something similar on my right inner forearm. In the past, I have noticed a spot growing adjacent to this. Another, dermatologist felt this was due to the lotions I have been using. I do have sensitive skin prone to rashes and breakouts and so, he recommended to stop using lotions. What is your opinion here?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Blotchy pigmentation is a common problem noticed in patients above 50 years of age. A sensitive skin predisposes more to such pigmentary changes.
  • Although, commonly seen in chronically sun exposed sites, they do tend to occur elsewhere as a part of dermatoheliosis (chronological photoaging of the skin).
  • As your skin has had repeated rashes and breakouts in view of its higher sensitivity, it would be preferable not to apply occlusive cosmetics and lotions as they may further increase the risk of such pigmentary lesions.
  • You could instead use a sunscreen with SPF of more than 30 (sun protection factor) and a good moisturizer to prevent further such lesions.
  • You can be assured that the lesions have no features suggestive of any skin malignancy.

1. Macular seborrheic keratosis.
2. Solar lentigo.
3. Elastosis secondary to aging.
4. Stellate pseudoscars and pigmentation of aging

Sunscreen with SPF greater than 30 in the morning and good moisturizing lotion at evenings.

1. Avoid occlusive cosmetics.
2. Consume vitamin C rich foods.

For further information consult a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for your answer and will follow your advice. Could I ask your opinion on another lesion? My doctor did have a look at this recently as a small bump appeared on it. She felt it was a pimple. This is on my foot and it does not itch.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

• It is quite uncommon to have a pimple on the legs and feet as they are not the oily parts of the body.
  • It is unfortunate that I cannot make out much from your image. Kindly upload a better image, both long and close up views, so that I could help you out.
  • Please mention the duration of the lesion and if there was any preceding insect bite.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Yes, I will send the photos. The lesion was similar to sunspot that had been on my foot for some time. Now, the pimple has flattened. The redness to the side has just happened, maybe from aggravating it.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

• The clinical image of your lesion is suggestive of an inflammatory benign papule.
  • The sunspots may at times show such inflammatory changes, especially when irritated by sudden sun exposure or other contacts.
  • Cherry angioma, a small vascular lesion, is also a possibility considering your age.
  • As you have previously mentioned that you have a pretty sensitive skin, even an insect bite, allergy to new footwear or early eczematous lesion can mimic the same.
  • There are no changes suggestive of any malignancy in the image. I would advise you to relax and follow the necessary precautions.

1) Papular urticaria.
2) Inflammatory solar lentigo.
3) Insect bite hypersensitivity.
4) Cherry angioma.

Tacroz 0.1% cream (Tacrolimus) for local application at night for one week.

1. Avoid new footwear.
2. Use socks regularly.
3. Make sure no insect bites.

That is a relief.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

You are welcome. Do not hesitate to contact us for more doubts.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

My face turns red when I am exposed to sunlight. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old male trying to achieve an overall good facial complexion. For a number of years now my skin seems to be a bit damaged and has a lot less color to it than the rest of my body. My face seems to have general redness to it which is accelerated in the winter. I wash my f...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Right now, you are having photocontact dermatitis, which is redness of exposed skin parts on exposure to sunlight. This may be followed by hyperpigmentation and that is why you are observing different facial skin tones as compared to the rest of the bod...  Read Full

Kindly suggest a face wash, sunscreen lotion and overnight cream for oily skin.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old boy and my face is very oily during summer while in winters it is quite dry. In summers, a lot of oil pops out with white heads on my face. Even a short-term sun exposure tans my skin. I am also suffering from the problem of dark spots. Kindly suggest a face wash, su...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ahaglow (alpha hydroxy acid) face wash can be used to wash the face. La shield sunscreen can be used in the morning as it is non-comedogenic. Please upload an image of your face, so that depending on the skin type, pigmentation, and acne, medications can be suggest...  Read Full

I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I ne...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sun protection factor or SPF blocks damaging UV rays, which are responsible for skin aging, darkening, sunburn, and malignancy. I would advise you to use sunscreens that are a multi-spectrum or broad spectrum, which blocks both UV-A and UV-B rays. Select Sunscreen acc...  Read Full