Q. There are red spots on my thigh. What could it be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 12, 2019

I found 8-10 red spots on my upper right thigh and a few weaker spots on the right and left leg. They are not itchy. I noticed them just this morning.The spots are red in color. Their size is about 1/16" to 1/8" diameter. I am taking Flonase since last week. Should I quit taking it? What could it be?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have viewed the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

It is a case of papular urticaria, a type of insect hypersensitivity reaction with irritant dermatitis. It is a very common problem and harmless too. It has nothing to do with Flonase (Fluticasone propionate). So, if you are using it for any other indication you can safely go for it.

Just apply Mupirocin ointment twice daily. The spots will completely subside in 1 week. Please let me know if any new lesions are continuously appearing, as in that case you may need oral medication.

| 

Thank you doctor.

Could this bite be from bedbugs in this hotel? Do I need a prescription for Mupirocin ointment?

#

I have never said that it is an insect bite, instead, it is an insect hypersensitivity reaction. Both are quite different as in insect hypersensitivity reaction, there is very rare possibility of finding an insect because insects are too small to be visible.

A central pustule seen in the picture and the acute onset confirms my diagnosis. Most probably you would get Mupirocin ointment without prescription.

|