Q. Have developed piles during pregnancy, Is it possible to have a normal delivery?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on May 16, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 9 months pregnant. I am nearing my due date. I have developed piles during pregnancy. Initially it was fine, but now it has become big, swollen and painful. Can you suggest a remedy for it? Is it possible to have a normal delivery due to piles? Please give me a suitable solution, so that I can ask my doctor in advance for a C-section or normal whichever is suitable. Should I restrict any kind of food? I also had gestational diabetes but now it is under control.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

I have read and understood your problem.

• Sometimes piles increase in pregnancy and decrease after delivery.
  • Regarding the method of delivery C-section (cesarean) or normal delivery depends on several factors not related to piles, so let your gynecologist decide.
  • You can do cold compress of piles and take Isabgol (psyllium husk) or other mild laxative to keep stool soft.
  • Leafy vegetable also make stool softer but take lots of water too, if fluid is not restricted. Avoid spicy and oily foods.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

My bowel motion is correct. I have been given an ointment Smuth but not much of the piles has reduced. I wanted to go for a normal delivery but I fear if the force applied will effect the piles. Will it be dangerous? I might have my delivery by next week. Whether a C-section or normal delivery, how should I prepare for it? How long will it take to recover? Which would be the best according to your opinion under such circumstances? Please suggest.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• If the piles is very large, then it may bleed during vaginal delivery.
  • Only ten days are left, if you have not seen the gynecologist in last one week then see immediately. It takes six weeks to recover after a C-section. If your doctor advises C-section then go for it.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologiat online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|