Q. Why do I have a pea-sized lump over the cleft of my hips?

Dr. Muhammad Kashif Humayun
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 27, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2022

Two years back, I noticed a pea-sized lump on my skin over the cleft of my hips. It pains slightly when pressed hard. There is also a sacral dimple on it. Recently out of curiosity, I checked it on the internet and found out that it is called a pilonidal cyst. I also have a hairy body. I have never noticed any discharge, pain, or infection in the area. Should I be concerned about this? Does it require medical intervention? Can it get worse if left untreated? Could you please give me your opinion on this?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. Yes, you got a pilonidal cyst associated with the formation of the pilonidal sinus. It seems like it is not infected, but ultimately, it gets complicated with time. Hence, it needs a surgical intervention that is excision of cyst preferably and open healing with secondary intention. In addition to this, take measures like cleaning and shaving that area regularly and avoid sitting too long.

|