Q. I get whitish pus at the end of my tail bone. What is it?

Dr. Arvind Guru
Published on Jan 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

I am a 20-year-old male. A few months ago I noticed a small lump on my skin directly on my tailbone. I picked it and it formed into a small dent. I did not think anything of it but for the past one week the same dent has become inflamed on the outer edge and extremely painful to touch. I struggle to get up when I sit down as it is painful. When I touch it after standing up it feels wet.

I have just asked my partner to look at it (as I cannot see for myself) and I gently opened my cheeks. She told me that a thick white pus substance was coming out in large amounts. I felt again and when I looked at my hands a small amount of white pus was on my nail. Whenever I have an infection in a scab my pus usually turns out to be a yellowish-white or a yellow color so I am quite worried. This color is not normal for me. Please help.

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

From your description, you could be suffering from a pilonidal sinus or cyst.

Color of pus, yellow or white is not of great concern. What can be concerning is a large amount of pus. Kindly try to quantify it, may be in drops or teaspoon measures.

It is a disease of young men, mostly hairy and sedentary lifestyles. Professional Drivers also get it in higher proportions. Going to see a doctor at local surgery is a good decision. The best way for pain relief is surgery to drain it properly and clean it. It can require to be completely removed in some complicated cases.

Wash the area with soap and water daily. Try to avoid sitting for long periods. In case you are worried about the possibility of cancer, it is extremely rare in a pilonidal sinus. This is a common problem and only a handful of cases have been reported in the world of some cancer developing in it; that also after years of inflammation and without treatment. But kindly confirm with your local doctor that it is in fact, pilonidal sinus and not anything else.

| 

Kindly explain about pilonidal cyst surgery.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a pilonidal cyst on tailbone and I would like to ask what are the risks? Success rate? How long do I have to be in the hospital? How long until I can go and work or be my normal self?  Read Full »

Is it mandatory to get surgery immediately for pilonidal sinus?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a pilonidal sinus, that is 20 mm long. I consulted the surgeon and he suggested surgery. Is it mandatory to get the surgery done now itself or can I wait for three to four months?  Read Full »

Ask a General Surgeon Now