Q. Can you suggest medicines for pimples and dark marks?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Jun 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33 year old, and I am suffering from severe pimples followed by dark marks on the face. I did so many chemical peels, and the condition did not improve. My friend told me to take Minocycline 50, so I am taking it since two months, and my pimples are improving. Can I take this tablet? My friend also told me to take Epiglow and Epilight tablets. Is it good to take all these tablets? Can you suggest any other better medicine?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Acne is a common problem during adolescence, and it is unlikely to have such severe acne at your age. However, there are instances when this could happen, such as a family history of bad acne, and it is totally acceptable.
  • The treatment for acne depends on the grade and severity of the problem. It ranges from antibiotics such as Minocycline to creams such as Adapalene, Benzoyl peroxide to oral retinoids such as Isotretinoin.
  • Kindly mention if you have been applying any steroid-based creams to your skin. Please upload appropriate images of the present condition, so that I can suggest accordingly.

Revert with more information to a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

I do not apply any cream on my face, as it will lead to pimples. So, I am taking Minocycline.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

• Adapalene and Benzoyl peroxide are first line treatments for acne, and they do not cause pimples.
  • Long-term use of Minocycline will lead to drug resistance and treatment failure. Epiglow is just a multivitamin and antioxidant tablet.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Please suggest any oral medication to get rid of this pimples. Can I use Epiglow tablets? I purchased Epilight tablets, which contain Polyvinylpyrrolidone. Is it safe to use?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

• Epilight tablets contain Glutathione and are helpful for partial skin lightening when used for a minimum of 3 to 6 months. It needs to be avoided in patients with any liver disorders.
  • The response would be slow, and you can take one tablet daily, for a minimum of three months. Although it will not be leading to complete skin fairness, it would definitely help to a partial extent.
  • For acne, Minocycline can be used for a maximum of 6 to 8 weeks, as further prolonging may lead to drug resistance. In case your acne falls in grade 3 or 4, you could try oral Isotretinoin tablet in a dose of 10 to 20 mg, with regular monitoring of your lipid levels.
  • If not, you could choose to maintain your skin on topical creams.

For further queries consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

What is the post-care after stopping Minocycline? How to get rid of the black marks?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

• Once the acne is under control, I suggest using Salicylic acid face wash regularly.
  • For the pigmentation spots, I suggest using Kojic acid creams. However, the marks take a long time to resolve.

Will Kojivit cream and Clearmin soap help improve my skin tone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. My face tone looks uneven and very dull. Can I use Kojivit gel to improve my skin tone along with clearmin soap? Is clearmin soap good? Or please suggest any other soap.  Read Full »

Role of Glutathione - a Skin Lightening Agent in Dermatology

Article Overview: Glutathione, an antioxidant, is produced by the body and helps reduce the effects of aging, stress, and as a skin lightening agent. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Cosmetologist

Everyone wants fairer skin complexion, because skin color plays an important role in sociosexual communication. It is a universal desire to retain a flawless fair skin. To attain this, individuals are seeking faster and most effective ways for getting lighter skin tone. There are many products avai...  Read Article

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article

Ask a Cosmetologist Now