Q. Is it safe to use IV Glutathione to get lighter skin?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
Published on Feb 27, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I had very dark complexion in the past. But after consuming antioxidants like Vitamin C, E, Glutathione and Alpha Lipoic Acid my skin has lightened up about two to three shades. It has been very helpful but I still need to get lighter. Is it safe for me to get IV Glutathione? I have heard it absorbs quickly and gives results within one or two sessions. Other than that what can I do to lighten my skin?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Injectable Glutathione is not FDA approved. Still, it is used by many people to reduce the skin tone by two to three shades.

It is a once-a-week injection for four weeks, then once in two weeks for four weeks. If there is no response after three to four sessions then further treatment should not be taken.

I personally would not advise taking IV Glutathione as the results are not permanent. Skin color changes back to the normal tone after three to six months of stopping treatment.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Can I get it injected by a dermatologist? Also, can you suggest me other things to lighten my skin? Creams, serums, routine or any supplement?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

If your dermatologist advises you, then after knowing the chance of risk involved, you can decide.

I suggest using La shield sunscreen in the morning.

Kindly send an image so that other topical medications can be suggested.

Do you have any medical history?

Revert with more information to a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

I consume 1500 mg Glutathione daily followed by 3000 mg Vitamin C. I use Salicylic acid, Vitamin E and Hazel face wash (for my acne). You can see the attachment I sent. I went from Earth 4-5 to Clay 2-3 shade in six months. I use Lumivoid lightening cream at night for my acne spots. I have consumed Isotretinoin in the past for my acne issues. I also use sunscreen daily whether I go out or not. I use Vitamin C serum three times a week.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

If you have achieved results as mentioned previously, then you should have a realistic approach to treatment. Skin lightening with Glutathione is not permanent as I told you before.

Secondly, you should not take oral Glutathione for more than three months. If you want to use it again then there should be gap of two to three months.

I would not advice injectable medications.

1000 mg of Vitamin C per day is sufficient. You can continue with Vitamin C serum.

Golite cream can be applied at bedtime.

Can I use Glutathione for skin whitening?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old female. I want to use Glutathione for skin whitening. So I want to know whether 1000 mg Glutathione is safe for the body or not? Will taking 1000 mg Glutathione daily show any side effects? If yes, then what type of side effects it will be? Will it affect my menstrua...  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Glutathione is a natural product and for maximum efficacy, it is given intravenously. However, it is impractical to get intravenous every day hence oral Glutathione is given widely. Ideally, it is given 500 mg twice daily but 1000 mg per day can also be given along with...  Read Full

Role of Glutathione - a Skin Lightening Agent in Dermatology

Article Overview: Glutathione, an antioxidant, is produced by the body and helps reduce the effects of aging, stress, and as a skin lightening agent. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Cosmetologist

Everyone wants fairer skin complexion, because skin color plays an important role in sociosexual communication. It is a universal desire to retain a flawless fair skin. To attain this, individuals are seeking faster and most effective ways for getting lighter skin tone. There are many products avai...  Read Article

Is it safe to take Glutathione when one is planning to conceive?

Query: Hello doctor, My 25-year-old wife is planning to use Glutathione as one of her dietary supplements. She is still trying to conceive. Is that okay? Is it safe? Will it still be okay to take Glutathione during pregnancy? What other dietary supplements would you recommend?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Glutathione is a master antioxidant that plays an important role in the development and growth of the fetus. In the placenta, Glutathione detoxifies pollutants before they reach the developing child. Glutathione also supports your immune function, which i...  Read Full

Ask a Cosmetologist Now