Q. What is the management for blurry, red, and teary eyes in a pregnant woman?

Dr. Hussein Ayoub

My left eye is blurry, hurts a little, and is red. It is also tearing up. I just found out that I am pregnant as well. I need to know if there is something to treat this so I can see better and not have it bother me.

I am currently on Sertraline 100 mg once daily for the past six years.

#

I would gladly answer your query.

I need to ask you if you have any discharge coming out of your eyes? Also, if your eyes are a little bit sticky? Do you have itching? Did you have any kind of trauma in the past few days? Do you wear glasses? Is this condition in one eye or both? Also please send me a clear picture of your eyes so that I can further assist you.

For now, I would recommend you use wetting drops and after you answer my question and send me the picture I will guide you through your case.Do not worry it sounds like a mild case that will be solved with adequate treatment.

No, I do not think there is any discharge, it is just really watery. I do not think it is sticky either. It is not itchy right now. Before this happened both my eyes were a little itchy I was rubbing them a couple of days ago, but then it went away. And now today only my left eye is blurry, watery, and hurts even when I close my eye it hurts it feels like there is almost something in my eye or something but I do not think there is anything in it. No trauma. I wear contacts and glasses. And it is just my left eye. It hurts though.

#

Your conditions is most probably a mild viral infection, pink eye. The second option is allergy.

If it is a viral infection you will start noticing more than normal crusts in the morning, your eyes may get sticky especially as soon as you wake up and or discharge that is mucoid and not yellow.

Your plan of management is as follows.

1. Wetting eye drops preferably preservative-free use it four times daily for a week and do not worry no side effects with this one. Call the pharmacy and tell them preservative-free wetting eye drops. Maybe Polyfresh or Systan Ultra.

2. You need an antibiotic eye drops to guard against secondary bacterial infections. Use Vigamox eye drops three times daily for five days.

3. I would also give antihistamine eye drops for three times daily to decrease the itchiness. Zyrtec (Cetirizine) would be good.

4. Antihistamine tablets once before sleep. Take care because this one may make you feel dizzy so take it before bedtime five days too. Zyrtec or Telfast.

5. Avoid use of contact lenses for the meantime until your condition resolves.

6. Avoid being exposed to dust that may exacerbate the condition.

7. Keep your eyes and lids clean. Wash them daily with clean water and soap or shampoo.

8. Use your own towels and pillows because viral conditions are contagious.

9. Cold foments three times with a clean cotton 10 minutes each for two days.

Please feel free to contact me anytime you need more help and follow up again in five days. You should get better as soon as you start using the above medications.

So it is not dry eye then? That is what I was thinking it was.

#

No, it is not a dry eye. Dry eye will not happen in one eye and leave the other. Also, dry eye will get better when you close your eyes because when you blink your eyes get washed naturally by the tear film. Most probably it is a pink eye.

Please follow up with me after you start taking the medications and tell me how you feel. Also, remember to get preservative-free wetting drops that is very important.

|