Q. Is pituitary adenoma life-threatening?

Dr. Chandan Mohanty
This is a premium question & answer published on May 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2021

I got an MRI done due to severe headaches, and I was diagnosed with pituitary adenoma. So, I consulted a neurosurgeon, who suggested some scans. Everything was normal according to him. He later said that the tumor is tiny almost 1 cm, and he asked me to wait and see. If any problem persists, then he will see later. But recently, I am having mild headaches and fear that it may turn into a big problem. Kindly suggest what to do.

#

• If the tumor is smaller than 1 cm and all your hormonal tests are normal, then serial observation is the preferred treatment. In these cases, no surgery is needed.
  • Mild headaches may not be related to the adenoma. Kindly follow the advice of your treating neurosurgeon.

Best wishes.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Is this condition serious? I mean, is it life-threatening or cancerous?

#

• This is a benign mass and is non-cancerous. Best wishes.

For further queries consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|