Q. My son has a brown spot on face. What is it?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 18, 2020

My son has some brown spot on face for over 10 months. I am applying Panderm ointment. Please help.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

This is a clear cut case of pityriasis alba (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which is very common in young kids. It is a kind of mild allergy due to sunlight, food or any other external and internal factor.

It is treatable and not a worrisome problem. Some time due to lack of calcium and presence of worms also cause it.

Treatment for pityriasis alba is very simple and almost always effective.

I suggest you tablet Ostocalcium (Calcium phosphate) one tablet every day for one month. Give him milk and good nutritious food.

Tablet Albendazole 400 only one tablet has to be taken.

Apply Flutivate cream (Fluticasone propionate) over the white patches once in night for one month. Do not rub the cream. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

To avoid sunlight allergy use sunscreen (Suncros 50 SPF) over face twice in a day, which is during morning and afternoon.

Continue this treatment for one month and the problem will be resolved definitely.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest a face wash, sunscreen lotion and overnight cream for oily skin.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old boy and my face is very oily during summer while in winters it is quite dry. In summers, a lot of oil pops out with white heads on my face. Even a short-term sun exposure tans my skin. I am also suffering from the problem of dark spots. Kindly suggest a face wash, su...  Read Full »

Why are there white patches on the cheeks of 9 month old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, White patches are found on the cheeks of 9 months old baby boy. And also, there are some white patches near the eyes. What is that?  Read Full »