Q. What can be done to recover form pneumothorax quickly?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I was diagnosed with pneumothorax three months back, and I was admitted to the hospital for treatment for a week. My current medications are Faronem, Seroflo Rotacap, Neucleofit, and Tramadol. I still have chest and throat pain, occasional shortness of breath, hand tremors, sometimes hand numbness, pain in the underarm and hand, sudden piercing pain in the chest, pain in the upper back and shoulders, and heaviness in the chest most of the day. How many more days will it take to heal, and what can be done?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from chest and throat pain, shortness of breath, hand tremors, chest heaviness, pain in the underarm, hand, upper back, and shoulders. You were diagnosed with pneumothorax three months back.

According to the British thoracic society guidelines, the presence of bulla greater than 2 cm is considered as large pneumothorax, and surgical intervention is needed for large pneumothorax. Usually, it may take six to eight weeks to recover from pneumothorax fully. Kindly repeat the CT (computed tomography) of the chest to determine the prognosis of pneumothorax and exclude the causes and treat them accordingly.

Even some of your current medications may cause such symptoms as side effects.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I have attached a CT scan report. Kindly let me know the diagnosis according to it? I will also take another CT as soon as possible, as suggested by you.

Thanks.

#

Thank you for joining again. According to your CT scan report (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity), emphysematous bulla or pneumatocele measuring 6.1 × 2.1cm is noted on the left side. Pneumothorax is the definite diagnosis, according to the CT chest report. The presence of emphysematous bulla or pneumatocele may indicate pneumothorax, and your doctor was correct in diagnosis.

A follow-up CT chest will help to determine the improvement of your previous pneumothorax and present lung conditions.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

I took another CT as suggested by you. I am only taking tablet Telekast A once a day and Combiflam twice a day for one week. I still have the same symptoms mentioned previously, but the shortness of breath and hand tremors are not present. I am also experiencing pain in the extreme right side of the chest, along with tightness. I am sending my recent CT report; please look into it and let me know the current prognosis and any progress or change compared to the previous CT scan.

Thanks.

#

Thank you for joining again. According to your recent HRCT (high-resolution computed tomography) of chest report, encysted pneumothorax in a significant fissure on the left side is seen. The exact causes for encysted pneumothorax are unknown, but trauma is considered the main reason for encysted pneumothorax. Treatment options for encysted pneumothorax are conservative needle aspiration, chest drain, suction, or surgery.

Medications such as broad-spectrum antibiotics like Azithromycin or Cefixime, bronchodilators like Salbutamol, analgesics like Tramadol, oxygen inhalation therapy may be needed to subside your current sufferings.

Take care.

Thanks for answering my query.

I underwent oxygen therapy three months back, and I was taking similar medications till last week. But I have the problem still. Should I continue the medication? Or do I have to go through oxygen therapy again? Also, the report says I have a problem on the left side, but I am having pain on the right side sometimes. Why is it?

Thanks.

#

Thank you for joining again. I think you should continue the medication. Without consulting your prescribing doctor, you should not stop taking your current medications.

You have encysted pneumothorax on your left chest according to your HRCT of the chest. For this reason, you may experience pain in your left chest area. Again, you may also experience pain on your right chest due to referred pain that may result from encysted pneumothorax on your left chest. It will be wise for you to visit your pulmonologist physically for further evaluation and treatment purposes. You should follow the treatment protocol strictly to recover soon.

Take care.

|