Q. The values of hemoglobin, hematocrit and platelet are high. Should I concern about PV?

I am a 55-year-old male. Routine CBC report shows hemoglobin 17.1, hematocrit 51.5, and platelets 255 (up from 201 last year). Should I be concerned about PV?

#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

In polycythemia vera, hemoglobin level is usually more than 17.5, and hematocrit is more than 55. So you need not concern about polycythemia vera. The chance of secondary polycythemia also seems to be very less. So you need not worry about your CBC (complete blood count) result as per my opinion. If you have a history of persistently elevated hemoglobin for a long time, then only further investigation is needed or else do not worry. You can attach your reports to guide you further. I hope I have answered your question.

|