Q. Is polydactyly hereditary?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

My 55 years old father has six fingers in the right hand. He has an extra finger near the thumb. My sister and I have five fingers on each hand. What are the chances that my sister's child will have six fingers in a hand? Will they have any other abnormality? Could there be any other possible complications in the future child?

#

Thanks for your query.

• Polydactyly (extra finger), is usually autosomal dominant but it could be autosomal recessive in some cases.
  • Normally, half of the progeny from the affected parent has polydactyly. But in your case, since both the son and daughter did not have an extra finger, so they do not carry the gene and the child from the daughter will not have extra finger and toes.
  • Polydactyly can be associated with other defects like heart and gastrointestinal defects, which should be investigated.

Thanks.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|