Q. Is vitamin E a good solution for polymorphous light eruptions?

Dr. Suvina Attavar

I have self-diagnosed myself with polymorphous light eruptions, and I know that sounds annoying to someone who has dedicated their entire career to skin care. But every time I am at the beach in extreme sunlight, around day 2 or 3, I start developing a bumpy and itchy rash. After much research and comparing online images to my condition, it appears that I have a sun allergy that results in my rash. I have done some online research as well to help prevent or treat this condition because it is extremely uncomfortable, and a common answer is Vitamin E. Is this the right treatment? Is Vitamin E a good solution? Would it be best to take a Vitamin E supplement or use a Vitamin E serum or cream?

#

• Vitamin E is a potent free radical scavenger and antioxidant. Free radicals are reduced oxygen elements, which are responsible for skin damage and photoaging. Vitamin E protects the skin from effects of acute and chronic sun exposure. However, vitamin E alone is not effective as a sunscreen.
  • To protect yourself from harmful UV (ultraviolet) radiation, you would have to use a sunscreen containing Zinc oxide and Tinosorb with a minimum SPF of 30. The sunscreen should be applied half an hour before going out, and it has to be reapplied every four hours.
  • Also, I suggest taking Vitamin E supplements.

Hope this helps. Take care.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|