Q. Can you tell me if my fifth upper right tooth is suitable for post and core reconstruction?

Dr. Akmal Abdelmalek

I have several worries about my teeth. Can you please help me with the concern? Is my fifth upper right tooth suitable for post and core reconstruction? From the X-ray, what is the state of my teeth? Do they look worrying? Is there anything I should worry about? Are my gums receding on my lower canines, and if so, why? Is it normal for the gum line to be like that on the canines? I am afraid that my teeth are really bad and hope I can get some help from you.

#

• Regarding your canine's gum line, it is not looking bad. It is normal for the gum line on the canines to be slightly higher than the adjacent teeth. As long as the root is not visible, there is no problem. To avoid any gum recession, be careful with your tooth brushing and direct the brush away from your gums and towards the edges of your teeth.
  • Now, as to your fifth tooth, the second bicuspid, to be honest, it is badly broken down, but you can still go for a post and core with a crown if you wish. It is an advanced restorative procedure that costs time and money, but its success rate is high, and the tooth can last in your mouth for years. If delayed, you have to lose that tooth, and in that case, a single tooth implant is an excellent replacement option with an outstanding success rate of above 95 percent over the last 10 years.
  • From the radiograph, you have provided (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), I do not see anything unusual or alarming. Your teeth look good, and the bone is healthy. Also, the fillings are fine.
  • Do check your lower molars (back teeth) for decay. Your third molars (wisdom teeth) have to be taken out if they fail to erupt, as it looks like there is no room for them to come out.

Decay and previous restorative work.

Post and core followed by a crown.

|