Q. How can I cure painful white blister around the extraction site?

Dr. Vijeta Singh

I had a tooth extraction done nine days ago top left #14 and my gums are still swollen. It looks like a white blister around the extraction site. My dentist will not listen to me and the pain I am in. Is it something I should worry about? It is causing pain too.

#

Your swollen gum and white blister on extraction site can be a canker sore (small and shallow ulcer) which can be treated with medicine and oral hygiene. This could have happened due to improper oral hygiene and using some pointed object (toothpick, etc.) to the extraction site. Grave disease supports mouth ulcer as well.

This can also be a dry socket (open socket in gum) because of major trauma during extraction. Dry socket may lead to swollen gum and pain at the extraction site. In a few of the studies, we have seen that hypothyroidism also reduces the rate of wound healing. You are already taking Motrin 800 for pain management, please share the dosage. Alternatively, you can take Naproxen which is an extended-release tablet can help you to subside pain for a longer duration. You are also suggested to take semi-solid food, do not chew from the left side and brush carefully. Gargle with warm salt water. Requesting to share the picture of the extraction site to differentiate between canker sore and dry socket. Which will help me to suggest the proper treatment and medicines? Also, requesting to share radiograph (if possible) IOPAR of 13, 14, 15 for a better understanding of the case.

Disturbing extraction site, infection at the site.

IOPAR of 13, 14, 15.

Dry socket.

Canker sore.

Medicine and visiting dentist (can only be confirmed after further information).

Take semi-solid food, do not chew from the left side and brush carefully. Gargle with warm salt water.

|