Q. I am having severe pain for several days following tooth extraction. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I had a molar extracted 10 days ago, and I am now having severe pain. It was a simple extraction that did not even require stitches. I was prescribed Penicillin VK q.i.d for a week and a few tabs of TYL3, which did next to nothing. I had all four wisdom teeth out about 20 years ago with no complications, but I am now older, unemployed and have dealt unsuccessfully with a severe dental phobia that I have had since I was a small child. Please help.

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

I read your history, almost everything you have attempted. Still, I would recommend the following things.

1. Take Ibuprofen 600 mg three times, (8 hourly) a day, or if having severe pain, you can take it six hourly for three days.

2. Do salt gargles, i.e. take a cup of lukewarm water to add 1/4th teaspoon of salt in it and do rinses six to eight times a day for next 10 days. It is mandatory. The best way for healing of the socket.

3. You need a Zinc oxide Eugenol dressing for a week at the socket. Find out if you can get this zinc oxide eugenol material over the counter then you can put a pinch of it at socket your self at home. This is not cement it is another material. If it is not possible then go ask your dentist to give these dressings and fix up your problem.

4. Retake an X-ray to make sure if any broken down root is not left under the socket. Or any hairline fracture is caused that is causing severe pain. Provide me with post-op X-ray if possible so that I can diagnose accurately. Clove oil may also help in reducing pain as well. If you have it, you can put some in the socket that may relieve pain.

|