Q. I am having severe pain for several days following tooth extraction. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 29, 2019

I had a molar extracted 10 days ago, and I am now having severe pain. It was a simple extraction that did not even require stitches. I was prescribed Penicillin VK q.i.d for a week and a few tabs of TYL3, which did next to nothing. I had all four wisdom teeth out about 20 years ago with no complications, but I am now older, unemployed and have dealt unsuccessfully with a severe dental phobia that I have had since I was a small child. Please help.

Dr. Tooba Qazi

Dentistry
#

I read your history, almost everything you have attempted. Still, I would recommend the following things.

1. Take Ibuprofen 600 mg three times, (8 hourly) a day, or if having severe pain, you can take it six hourly for three days.

2. Do salt gargles, i.e. take a cup of lukewarm water to add 1/4th teaspoon of salt in it and do rinses six to eight times a day for next 10 days. It is mandatory. The best way for healing of the socket.

3. You need a Zinc oxide Eugenol dressing for a week at the socket. Find out if you can get this zinc oxide eugenol material over the counter then you can put a pinch of it at socket your self at home. This is not cement it is another material. If it is not possible then go ask your dentist to give these dressings and fix up your problem.

4. Retake an X-ray to make sure if any broken down root is not left under the socket. Or any hairline fracture is caused that is causing severe pain. Provide me with post-op X-ray if possible so that I can diagnose accurately. Clove oil may also help in reducing pain as well. If you have it, you can put some in the socket that may relieve pain.

I feel dizzy and nauseous after taking two Ibuprofen tablets. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 18 year old female, and I weigh 135 lbs and 5.4 feet tall. I take birth control pills every night, along with two 500 mcg Biotin and two 500 mg cranberry pills. Tonight, I had a headache, so I accidentally took two 800 mg Ibuprofen tablets without thinking about it. I feel extremel...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? You do not need to worry about any of these symptoms. Let me explain. Biotin and Cranberry are health supplements, they do not affect the body adversely. Birth control pills, regularize the hormonal status in the body. So, they have no effect too. But f...  Read Full

What is the sharp hard thing coming out of gums after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old and had to get my wisdom tooth extracted a week ago. The surgery was very complex and painful. Few days into it and I started feeling something hard and sharp coming out from my gums towards my tongue, went to the dentist again. She was not able to take it out so she...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Complex wisdom tooth extractions will definitely have post-operative pain and discomfort. Lucky you that the procedure did not end up in swelling of the gums or face. That something hard feeling is nothing but the bone spicules that is left behind once the tooth is remo...  Read Full

I have cold with swollen nose. Kindly suggest some remedies.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold for more than one month. And have a swollen nose. What are the remedies to get relief?  Read Full >>

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It may be due to viral infection or bacterial infection or allergy. Use water vapor inhalation and salt water gargling thrice a day for five days. Avoid cool drinks and freeze water, avoid smoking and caffeine drinks. Use tablet Montelukast and Levocetirizine once a ...  Read Full