Q. I have lots of dark spots all over my body. Please suggest the best treatment.

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2019

I am a 31 year old female with three kids. When I was in my teenage, I developed red bumps which later on turn into acne. Most of the time I scratch them as they are very itchy and same with insect bites. I have a lot of dark spots now all over my face, buttock, back of my thighs and upper arm. It is also present in my inner thighs. I have attached some pictures that you might want to look at and see which is the best dermatological treatment that suits me. I wanted to restore my skin and remove these dark spots and scars on my legs as well. This has been the source of my insecurities since I was in high school. And I always envy those girls who wear sleeveless shirts and short shorts. Let me know what treatment is the best to solve my skin problem. I am too shy to go to a derma clinic because I do not know what to say to them so I resorted to an online consultation. I am not on any regular medication except my breastfeeding supplement and some vitamins. I hope you treat my case with utmost confidentiality.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

Please answer me the following questions to give more accurate treatment.

• How long it has been there? Is itching still there?
  • Can you mention any exaggerating and relieving factor? Any area spared?
  • How long have you been breastfeeding?

Revert back with the answers to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Please find my answer. Regarding the buttock scar, this started when I was a teenager around 13 years old, then gradually it became like that. It does not itch so much, but it left many scars and quite like red bumps are still present. The itching is not very much now. No aggravating or relieving factors as such. It started on my buttocks, and then it is now down to the back of my thighs and inner thighs. I breastfed my first child only for two months and my second child for around 7 months. My third kid is 4 months old whom I am breastfeeding now.

#

• You are currently having post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
  • Apply Melrio cream (combination of Hydroquinone, Tretinoin and Fluticasone propionate) once daily at night over affected area.
  • Since the active disease is not there, I am not prescribing you any oral medication. As you are breastfeeding it is better to avoid.
  • Get review in two months.

Revert back after two months to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you very much. I would very much appreciate if you please give specific instructions as below. How long should I do this? And do you have any skin care specific instructions so that my scars will go away aside from the cream? Are there any in-clinic derma solutions that I can resort to like peeling or something to speed up the clearing of my dark spots? Do you have specific diet changes to recommend me?

#

• Just avoid picking it and avoid sun exposure as both these can exaggerate post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. You may require eight to ten weeks of this followed by Kojic acid preparations for maintenance.
  • Chemical peeling is only fruitful if any trained dermatologist is doing it otherwise it can further aggravate the situation. Since you are too shy to visit dermatologist even for opinion I do not think that it is a feasible option for you as minimum four to five session are required to show optimum results.
  • Antioxidants suppose to help so take green vegetables as much as you can.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Will Kojivit cream and Clearmin soap help improve my skin tone?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. My face tone looks uneven and very dull. Can I use Kojivit gel to improve my skin tone along with clearmin soap? Is clearmin soap good? Or please suggest any other soap.  Read Full »

What Is Acne Vulgaris?

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Some individuals have an inherent tendency of having hyperactive sebaceous glands, this is one of the risk fact...  Read Article