Q. Is it possible to get sinus infection due to aspiration of soup?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

Is it possible to get some sort of sinus infection from accidentally aspirating soup when you are eating? I always make the mistake of choking on ramen and it has been happening a lot lately. I noticed in the last two months that every time I have ramen and choke on the soup, I get a sinus infection or something that feels like uncomfortable post nasal drip. Could it be because of choking on the ramen?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

It is very unlikely that you develop a sinus infection following consumption of any food. However, if your prone for a post nasal drip after consuming anything for that matter, it could be related to a food allergy what we categorise as NINAR (non infectious non allergic rhinitis). Post nasal drip occurs due to accumulation of mucus in the nose which has no place to go other than being blown out or pushed into the throat which often causes irritation and frequent throat clearing.

I do not really suggest any treatment for this. You take steam, have warm water and do saline gargles to get rid of the irritation temporarily. Ultimately it is always best to avoid consuming anything which can trigger such a response.

|