Q. How to cure chronic post-nasal drip and change of voice?

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.


Do you have a question on Post Nasal Drip or Steam Inhalation? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hi doctor,

I am 19 years old. I have been living with persistent allergies in my whole life. I have chronic post-nasal drip. I have lost my voice and get some sort of sore throat, whether that be laryngitis or strep throat. I had the same thing thrice in the past three months. This is especially difficult because I sing in my school's advanced chorus. In addition, because of the chronic post-nasal drip, I have to clear my throat a lot. My sinuses are congested frequently. Over-the-counter drugs provide temporary relief, but I have reached a point where I am tired of taking Mucinex or Benadryl every couple of days. I was wondering if I am a good candidate for sinus surgery. My mother and grandmother have both suffered from similar symptoms in the past and they both have had the surgery. It has seemed to help them overcome about 85% of their previous issues. Please help me. Thank you.

Related Questions:
Why am I having serious sleep paralysis with shortness of breath?
How long should I continue Levocet M for itchy throat?
I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
Audiology, Otolaryngology (E.N.T


Welcome to icliniq.com.

As you said, you have chronic post-nasal drip with a change of voice. According to me, it is chronic sinusitis with chronic laryngopharyngitis.

The diagnosis of chronic sinusitis must be confirmed and I suggest you get a CT PNS (paranasal sinus) done and send me the pictures.

For now, I suggest a Fluticasone nasal spray twice daily, tablet Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) once daily and capsule Pantoprazole once daily.

Also, take steam inhalation and avoid high pitch singing while you have a sore throat.

One more thing, I want to know is that whether your voice has become hoarse or you cannot sing because you have a feeling of a dry throat.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Related Questions & Answers

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?
Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full »
Dr. Sugandh Garg
Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The following precautions are very important for your child: Avoid cool drinks. Avoid sour fruits like lemon, orange, etc. Give steam inhalation with a drop or two of Benzoine tincture. Avoid outside food, fried food, and colored food. Gargle with warm salt water twice ...  Read Full »
I have sore throat from two years. Please advise.
Query: Hello doctor,I have a bad case of sore throat. It has been two years since I have a sore throat. I regularly gargle with hot water or diluted Betadine gargles (Povidone-iodine solution ), but there is no effect. Rather, it has gotten worse.  Read Full »
Dr. A.k.srivastava
ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a chronic patient of pharyngeal infection, we have to rule out all possible causes one by one with a thorough examination and necessary investigations. You should go for the following investigations. CT paranasal sinuses. Culture and sensitivity of throa...  Read Full »
I have sore throat and weight loss. Do I need to test again for STD?
Query: Hello doctor,I had a test for STD and the results came negative for all tests. I received an oral sex from a spa therapist eight weeks ago. I tested for STD at six weeks. But I have a sore throat for one month and there is weight loss. Today I could see tiny rashes on my genitals. I tested again for...  Read Full »
Dr. Kakkar S
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Receiving unprotected oral sex though much less of a risk as compared to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, is still not entirely safe. There is a possibility...  Read Full »

Ask your health query to a doctor online?
Ask a Doctor Online »
* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Most Viewed

I have acne on my cheeks, chin, jawline, and neck for the past four years. Please help.
Hello doctor, I have been dealing with acne on my cheeks, chin, jawline, and neck for the past four years. I have recen ...Read more »
What can be done for horseness of voice which is lasting for more than a month?
Hello doctor, I have problem in one cord and it is for about a month now. I was given Defcort and antibiotic for a week ...Read more »
Yasmin Birth Control Pills - Quick Facts | Composition | Works | Usage | Side Effects
Yasmin birth control pill is a combination birth control pill. It is made of two female hormones and is used to prevent ...Read more »