Q. How to cure chronic post-nasal drip and change of voice?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 19 years old. I have been living with persistent allergies in my whole life. I have chronic post-nasal drip. I have lost my voice and get some sort of sore throat, whether that be laryngitis or strep throat. I had the same thing thrice in the past three months. This is especially difficult because I sing in my school's advanced chorus. In addition, because of the chronic post-nasal drip, I have to clear my throat a lot. My sinuses are congested frequently. Over-the-counter drugs provide temporary relief, but I have reached a point where I am tired of taking Mucinex or Benadryl every couple of days. I was wondering if I am a good candidate for sinus surgery. My mother and grandmother have both suffered from similar symptoms in the past and they both have had the surgery. It has seemed to help them overcome about 85% of their previous issues. Please help me. Thank you.

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

Audiology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

As you said, you have chronic post-nasal drip with a change of voice. According to me, it is chronic sinusitis with chronic laryngopharyngitis.

The diagnosis of chronic sinusitis must be confirmed and I suggest you get a CT PNS (paranasal sinus) done and send me the pictures.

For now, I suggest a Fluticasone nasal spray twice daily, tablet Montair LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) once daily and capsule Pantoprazole once daily.

Also, take steam inhalation and avoid high pitch singing while you have a sore throat.

One more thing, I want to know is that whether your voice has become hoarse or you cannot sing because you have a feeling of a dry throat.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|