Q. I have a sore throat, post-nasal drip, and burning pain in my abdomen. Is it an allergy?

Published on Jun 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 21, 2019

I have had a sore throat on and off, for the past few weeks. It is not severe, but more of an annoyance with some referred ear pain. This week, I had a family member, who is a nurse, look at my throat to see if it was red or irritated. She noted I had quite a bit of post-nasal drip, but she could see no other issues. I had my tonsils removed as a kid, so they definitely are not the issue. I was thinking this might be caused by allergies, the trees and plants around are starting to bloom. I started taking some Claritin on top of painkillers, earlier this week. I also have been gargling with salt water. Those things seemed to help for a day or two, and the issue seemed to go away.

Fast forward to last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with a burning pain in my stomach. This morning the burning pain keeps coming and going, and I can feel a lot of mucus dripping down the back of my throat. Is a burning stomach usually something that can be linked to post-nasal drip? I have never had an issue with acid reflux, so I do not think it is that. Also, the burning sensation is limited only to my lower abdomen.

I typically do not have issues with severe allergies, so I am wondering if this could be caused by a virus? To be honest, I do not have a lot of confidence in my local doctor's office, and they tend to order a bunch of tests then overcharge for them. So I am wondering if I can get away with not seeing a doctor. I have ordered an air purifier for my room, and I am taking the allergy medicines religiously. Is there something else I can take or use to alleviate these symptoms? Or should I suck it up and see a doctor? I will also add that with these symptoms, I have had little to no nasal congestion or coughing. Thanks.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

You seem to be having some mild inflammation of the sinuses and nasal cavities. The same instead of causing headache or nose block is causing post-nasal drip which occasionally flares up as a sore throat. Let me suggest some medicines that I would do in my practice. In case you do not find any improvement, you can show your local doctor.

I would suggest you take a mucolytic medicine that will help lighten the mucus and remove it from sinuses. We have N-Acetylcysteine and Ambroxol in tablet forms. N-Acetyl cysteine comes in a dispersible form also. Ambroxol 30 mg or N-Acetyl cysteine 600 mg, twice daily.

You may or may not take an antiallergic medicine. To avoid acid reflux, I would suggest you take Pantoprazole 40 mg twice daily. Acid reflux which can occur in the pharynx causes a sore throat as well.

• To remove inflammation, you may take Trypsin and Chymotrypsin combination tablet, which reduces edema swelling as well. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Let me know the improvement.
  • Some precautions you may take are avoid smoking, alcohol, and taking plenty of fluids. Gargling and steam can worsen allergies in susceptible individuals. Eat healthily.

Do revert to me if you need any further support. Hope you feel better soon.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full »

Can severe acid reflux turn my teeth translucent, and cause gums to recede?

Query: Hi doctor, Lately, I noticed that my teeth are not the best looking. I had acid reflux. I looked up a lot of stuff about acid in the mouth, and looking at my teeth I think this is what is happening. My teeth started turning translucent two weeks ago. When I looked it up, it said that it could occur...  Read Full »

Can my abdominal pain after cholecystectomy throw me into SVT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old male, 5'7", 235 lbs. I am suffering from SVT, degenerative disc L4 to S1, ulcerative colitis. Have undergone appendectomy (more than 10 years ago), tonsillectomy (more than 10 years ago), cholecystectomy (three years back). Medicines I am taking are Lopressor 50 mg t...  Read Full »