Q. Why does my skin surrounding the surgery area look black and dead?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2021

I am a 57 year old female. I am 4.3 feet tall. I underwent a leg surgery 11 months back. The surgical wound has been infected three times already with pus discharge. After cleaning the discharge, a small area remains unhealed, and the implants fixed during surgery can be still seen through this area. The skin in this area has become black and looks dead. I already have thyroid and arthritis. Is there any way to treat the infection without removing the implants?

#

Kindly post the images of the affected leg and the infected wound after the surgery. I will be able to comment only after seeing the photos.

Revert with more information to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thank you for the reply. I have attached the photos of my leg.

#

Thank you for attaching the clinical pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Implant prominence is co-existing with infection, so any means of providing a cover over the implant will not prevent infection.
  • If there has been any consolidation of the fragments, then it is best to remove the implant and the necrosed bone followed by external fixator application.
  • A local antibiotic delivery system such antibiotic impregnated beads or cement may also be required.
  • For skin coverage, flap cover by a plastic surgeon has to be done. No medication will make the skin to grow over the implant.

For further queries consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|