Q. I have spotting after the day of intercourse. Should I be worried?

Dr. Manisha Raghunath Auradkar

My period ended ten days ago, and I had intercourse the next day after my period ended. After the day of intercourse, I have a light spotting. And today, I have bleeding that is a little bit more than spotting, although it is light. But I am concerned about what it is? (also, I have PCOS). But this is not something that often happens, so can anyone help me with this issue because I am concerned about what is happening. Please help me. I am worried and having a pregnancy scare.

#

I can understand your concern. The timeframe you mentioned is very less likely to result in pregnancy. Although it is advised to use protection as unprotected sex always carries a risk of unwanted pregnancy. Do not worry about the spotting. It will go away in a day or two. You said you have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) as well. Make sure you consult a gynecologist regularly for the medicines. The bleeding might or might not be related to PCOS. If you are worried about pregnancy, then wait until your menstruation. If it gets delayed for more than two weeks, then take a pregnancy test. But there are very few chances of it being positive.

I used protection during intercourse. I am just concerned about the pregnancy. There is no pregnancy, right. Is it normal for me to get spots since I have PCOS?

#

The timeframe you mentioned is considered least fertile. Also, you have used protection so that it will not result in pregnancy. And the spotting might be related to PCOS, or it can be due to mucosal damage of the genital tract. If the bleeding increases or lasts for longer, then seek medical help. Medical management will resolve the issue.

|