Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Are there remedies to stop early maturity?

Answered by
Dr. Payas Joshi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

Hi doctor,

My granddaughter became obese last year. The doctors detected some thyroid problem. After taking the pills she became normal. Now, she is expected to have early maturity. She is 6 years now. Before three years she had a head injury. But, she was normal and it was ignored. What treatment she should take now?

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics


Welcome to

  • Hypothyroidism itself can be one of the causes of this prematurity.
  • When have you got thyroid levels done? I suggest you to repeat if not done recently.
  • What is the height of the child and her current weight?
  • How much dose of thyroid hormone you are giving?

Investigations to be done:

1. Ultrasonography of neck.
2. Anti-TPO antibody (anti-thyroid peroxidase)
3. Check levels of T3, T4 and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a child health specialist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I would like to know, what are the consequences? Are there remedies? We are worried. Does such child lead a normal life? What are the treatments required?

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics


Welcome back to

I understand your problem.

  • This appears to be a case of precocious puberty. Has puberty started already in your child such as development of breast or menstruation?
  • The causes of this can be any of the following:
  1. Any abnormality in the brain, head trauma can also be one of the causes, though not necessarily in your case.
  2. Hypothyroidism.
  3. There may be some problem with gonads that is ovary.
  • There can be a few more, but it will be difficult for you to understand. So, first we need to know the exact cause as to why is this happening. So, the exact remedy can be given.
  • Your child may have early puberty and short stature. But, one thing I must add that I have not seen the child. After proper examination of child few tests have to be done to reach to an exact cause.
  • Yes, there is a remedy once we reach to the diagnosis. There are drugs that can halt the progression. And your child can be perfectly normal depending upon the exact cause.
  • I am writing few investigations that should be done. But, I suggest you see an endocrinologist preferably a pediatric endocrinologist if you find one because the exact treatment can only be done after a thorough history and examination of your child.

Investigations to be done:

LH (Luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), MRI brain, ultrasound abdomen and thyroid levels.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a child health specialist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Why am I losing more hair in the crown region?
Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?
Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Would my low sperm count have an adverse effect on IVF and ICSI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male with a low sperm count of 1.9 million. My blood work shows that I have a high FSH. Our doctor highly suggested that I get genetic testing done before we proceed with an IVF or an ICSI. I would like to know why he would suggest that.  Read Full »

My periods have become irregular. Will IVF help me?

Query: Hi doctor, My highest FSH count was 35.6 mIU/mL before two years. Now the FSH count is 13.2 mIU/mL. Before two years, my AMH count was 0.6 ng/ml. Last year, my AMH count was 0.1 ng/ml. Also, on the day seven and day 10, the follicular study gave nil result in both the ovaries (without medication). ...  Read Full »

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.