Q. Are there remedies to stop early maturity?

Dr. Payas Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

My granddaughter became obese last year. The doctors detected some thyroid problem. After taking the pills she became normal. Now, she is expected to have early maturity. She is 6 years now. Before three years she had a head injury. But, she was normal and it was ignored. What treatment she should take now?

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

• Hypothyroidism itself can be one of the causes of this prematurity.
  • When have you got thyroid levels done? I suggest you to repeat if not done recently.
  • What is the height of the child and her current weight?
  • How much dose of thyroid hormone you are giving?

1. Ultrasonography of neck.
2. Anti-TPO antibody (anti-thyroid peroxidase)
3. Check levels of T3, T4 and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a child health specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

| 

I would like to know, what are the consequences? Are there remedies? We are worried. Does such child lead a normal life? What are the treatments required?

Dr. Payas Joshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I understand your problem.

• This appears to be a case of precocious puberty. Has puberty started already in your child such as development of breast or menstruation?
  • The causes of this can be any of the following:
  1. Any abnormality in the brain, head trauma can also be one of the causes, though not necessarily in your case.
  2. Hypothyroidism.
  3. There may be some problem with gonads that is ovary.
  • There can be a few more, but it will be difficult for you to understand. So, first we need to know the exact cause as to why is this happening. So, the exact remedy can be given.
  • Your child may have early puberty and short stature. But, one thing I must add that I have not seen the child. After proper examination of child few tests have to be done to reach to an exact cause.
  • Yes, there is a remedy once we reach to the diagnosis. There are drugs that can halt the progression. And your child can be perfectly normal depending upon the exact cause.
  • I am writing few investigations that should be done. But, I suggest you see an endocrinologist preferably a pediatric endocrinologist if you find one because the exact treatment can only be done after a thorough history and examination of your child.

LH (Luteinizing hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone), MRI brain, ultrasound abdomen and thyroid levels.

For further information consult a child health specialist online.--->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|