Q. Fasting glucose 131 and post lunch glucose level 121. Am I diabetic?

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Published on Apr 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

My wife's fasting glucose is 131. Her post lunch glucose level is 121 and urine does not contain sugar. Her HbA1c is 6. 2. Her height is 5.4 and weight is 68 kg. What to do now?

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• By these laboratory readings she has prediabetes. This should be treated.
  • What to do will depend on a lot of factors. You have not provided any other medical history, family history, other medicines, lifestyle, etc.

Revert back with the asked details to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

She had gestational diabetes 13 months back and that got reduced immediately after delivery. Seven months back she got it checked as completely normal. Her father had diabetes. Due to baby care, she is having irregular sleep pattern. She cannot control hunger and does not drink water much. She drinks only 1.5 liter a day. Please guide us.

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• There is a possibility for natural progression to develop diabetes in next couple of years unless patient lose at least 5-10% of body weight and maintain it.
  • Is the patient breastfeeding right now?

Revert back with the asked answers to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

No, she is not breastfeeding right now. Also, she had GDM in 8th month only. Will she need any medications for life-long to treat prediabetes? Will diet control and weight reduction help her situation? Please guide.

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• The prediabetes range is A1c 5.7 to 6.2. Diabetes is 6.5 and more.
  • She is closer to diabetes range and having a history of GDM. Her father with diabetes puts her even at higher risk of progressing to diabetes.
  • I would recommend low dose Metformin which will keep her in the prediabetes range for a long time.
  • Weight loss is always helpful, but I recommend doing treatment and weight loss both, not either or.
  • The recommended dose of Metformin for now would be 500 mg with dinner.
  • If she is not breastfeeding, then she can start the treatment.

Revert back after the tests to a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Is it necessary to take the medicine lifelong or only for four months?

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

• If she achieves significant weight loss of at least 5-10% of current bodyweight and the HbA1c drops below 5.7, then she can come off Metformin.
  • She will require follow up to make sure it is not going up again, which is what happens with natural progression.
  • Treating prediabetes is still much better than treating diabetes at which point complications can set in.

For further doubts consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach. I personal...  Read Full

What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100. So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day fo...  Read Full

Had gestational diabetes during pregnancy. How to control my sugar levels now?

Query: Hello doctor, I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. I did not take any medications. I controlled it through diet. I delivered a boy baby. Three days after the delivery, my sugar levels were checked, and they were found to be normal. Yesterday, I checked again and found my fasting blood su...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aparna M Sathawane

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can take seven to eight weeks for your sugar levels to become normal. Your fasting sugar is normal, but your postprandial is a little high. Do not take only rice in your diet. Try to take a complete food. This will not affect the baby's digestion. I suggest you cont...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now