Q. Glucometer reading shows 103 mg/dl after 16 hours of meal. Am I prediabetic?

Dr. Nadeem Abootty
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 02, 2020

I recently bought a blood glucose meter because diabetes runs heavily in my family. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, but I checked my blood sugar today 16 hours without eating and it was 103. I know that it should be below 126 after eight hours of eating, but what is it supposed to be for 16 hours after eating? I am 21 years old and I weigh 230 lbs.

Dr. Nadeem Abootty

Diabetology
#

From the above history, it is noted that you are having a strong family history of diabetes and also you have been noted with prediabetic range blood sugars in the past.

Coming to your query, it is ideal to have less than 100mg/dl blood sugars after 12-16 hours post meal. But we cannot label you as prediabetic or diabetic by noting a single value. So I would take it as a prediabetic state, if you have been noted with increased blood sugars in this range on multiple occasions or if three months average blood sugars are between 5.6-6.5%.

I would like to stress the point that from the data it is found that you are having class 3 obesity, which must be addressed with due importance because it can lead to early diabetes, any lifestyle disease, and sleep apnea too.

HBA1c (glycated hemoglobin).

Lifestyle modification.

Diabetic diet. Regular aerobic exercises 45 minutes daily.

|