Q. What is the recommended dose of Metformin for my sugar levels?

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Published on Sep 27, 2016

My age is 33 and weight is 80 kg. My glycosylated fasting sugar 106 and postprandial is 115. Will Metformin help me to lose weight? Which medicine is better, either Metformin or Metformin extended release? How much dosage should I take?

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

• As per your sugar reports, it is confirmed that you are not diabetic. But, you are prone to get diabetes as fasting sugar is impaired and normally it should be less than 100.
  • So, I would recommend you lifestyle modification like exercise for at least 30 minutes per day for at least five days week.
  • I also suggest Metformin extended release 500 mg single tablet for 10 days after food and then repeat sugar levels. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Do not check your weight and sugars daily. Check after 10 days. Also, HbA1c report is required for the confirmation of diabetes.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Related Video

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now