Q. I put the condom the wrong way and then corrected it. What are the chances for getting pregnant?

Dr. Deepti Katarya

I am a male. My partner and I had sex on the 5th of this month and used a condom. However, a couple of hours before this, I ejaculated (non-sexual intercourse) and then peed after. While putting on the condom for sex, I put it on the wrong way first and then put it on the right way. Now, I do not know if I still had any sperm or precum while putting it on the wrong way, especially because I peed, but I am scared that some were on the outside of the condom when I inserted my penis into my partner. I pulled out even though I used a condom, and we used plan B the day after. Her period ended on the 2nd of this month, and her cycle is usually 30 days long. I know the fact that the condom did not break because I filled it up with water after, and it was fine. However, I am still extremely worried that she might be pregnant. Should I be worried? Also, can women only get pregnant when they ovulate? I know sperm can stay alive for up to five days, but can they reach the egg if she does not ovulate?

Thank you for your time.

#

For conception to occur, there are several things that should be there.

First, sex should be done during the fertile period of the cycle.

Second, there should be sperm ejaculation into the vagina.

The third, it should be in the ovulation period. Especially five days before ovulation.

As you said, you worn the condom inside out and then corrected it, there might be chances that sperm might have entered into the vagina.

Moreover, a sperm stays for around 3 to 5 days in the vagina, so if ovulation is about to start in the coming five days, then chances of conceiving are very high. You did not mention about her last menses or was she fertile during that period and is she having regular periods as ovulation and fertile period can only be determined oy if there are regular periods. Irregular periods and cycles may complicate it, and there might be a chance to conceive. You had intercourse on the 5th of this month and today is 7 th. To prevent unwanted conception and clear your anxiety, she can have an emergency I-pill which is to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. So take it early as possible if you do not want pregnancy.

However, I-pill itself has its side effect like irregular bleeding or spotting or may cause a disturbance in menses that may take a cycle or two to normalize. She might experience heavy bleeding, for which urgent medical attention may be required. And added to this, I-pill is emergency contraception which is not to be taken as a substitute for any contraceptive method as if used regularly, it might have unfavorable results.

All the very best. Take care.

|