Q. Why have I been asked to get dual marker and various other tests during second pregnancy?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I am 12 weeks pregnant. My age is 38. My doctor prescribed dual marker test. My PAPP-A report is 1.88 mIU/ml, while FB-hCG is 28.2 ng/ml. NT is 0.90 mm (.65 MoM). Biochem risk +NT is 1:4730, age risk 1:189, trisomy 13/18 + NT is < 1:10000. I am worried about my reports, whether it is normal or is there any risk. My weight is 53 kg. It is my second pregnancy. I have 3 years old child and completely normal. However, no test of this type was done earlier.

#

Heartiest congratulations for your second pregnancy. Well, there is a generalized increased risk with increased age of mother. You are above 35 years, so considering it as an elderly pregnancy, increased surveillance for congenital or chromosomal abnormalities in the baby are mandatory. These tests are nowadays routinely done even in younger mothers.

According to your blood tests and USG findings (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are on lower risk, that is, 1 in 10000, while as per your age it is a bit high risk, which is why the test was offered. Preferably you can opt for second-trimester quadruple blood tests during 15 to 18 weeks as well to keep you relaxed and finally do an TIFFA scan at around 20 to 22 weeks. They rule out around 95 % chance of missing out any chromosomal defect, if all done together. But, I want to add at the end, no test has 100 % success rate in diagnosing all congenital defects.

|