Q. Why have I been asked to get dual marker and various other tests during second pregnancy?

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

I am 12 weeks pregnant. My age is 38. My doctor prescribed dual marker test. My PAPP-A report is 1.88 mIU/ml, while FB-hCG is 28.2 ng/ml. NT is 0.90 mm (.65 MoM). Biochem risk +NT is 1:4730, age risk 1:189, trisomy 13/18 + NT is < 1:10000. I am worried about my reports, whether it is normal or is there any risk. My weight is 53 kg. It is my second pregnancy. I have 3 years old child and completely normal. However, no test of this type was done earlier.

Dr. Eeshani Dutta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Heartiest congratulations for your second pregnancy. Well, there is a generalized increased risk with increased age of mother. You are above 35 years, so considering it as an elderly pregnancy, increased surveillance for congenital or chromosomal abnormalities in the baby are mandatory. These tests are nowadays routinely done even in younger mothers.

According to your blood tests and USG findings (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you are on lower risk, that is, 1 in 10000, while as per your age it is a bit high risk, which is why the test was offered. Preferably you can opt for second-trimester quadruple blood tests during 15 to 18 weeks as well to keep you relaxed and finally do an TIFFA scan at around 20 to 22 weeks. They rule out around 95 % chance of missing out any chromosomal defect, if all done together. But, I want to add at the end, no test has 100 % success rate in diagnosing all congenital defects.

| 

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Please explain about the factors help to calculate the risk of trisomy 21.

Query: Hi doctor, My NT scan showed me a range of 1.4 mm and my double marker showed me a risk of 1:20300. But my age risk showed a result of 1:176. Which one has to be considered and what it signifies regarding the risk for trisomy 21?  Read Full »

Pregnancy test shows negative, shall I take medicine to induce periods?

Query: Hi doctor,I got my last period before three months. I have not gotten my periods ever since. I had protected intercourse twice before two months. However, I have no symptom and all the pregnancy tests are negative. Also, I have missed my period the same way, even before once and my cycle is gener...  Read Full »